French Colonies

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Michael Javick

Michael Javick New Member

2. Michael Javick

Thank you for displaying these lovely stamps !

3. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Thank you....I am glad you like them.Will post a lot more in the coming weeks.

4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Great cancels. The colors of the 9 centimes and the 13 centimes really make their cancels stand out.

Don

5. anglobob

More lovely stamps...........:cat::cat::cat:
    Back to the 1939 Anniversary of the French Revolution.An airmail stamp was issued for 8 colonies with a 4franc surcharge,the surcharge helping with defence funds for each colony.15,000 stamps were issued for each colony.The high cost of the surcharge meant that not many were sold and used stamps are quite hard to find.I have managed to find the complete set on registered covers.All postally used with good,clear cancellations and in some cases,with control or censor marks.All have arrival date stamps on the reverse.Every cover ,except Senegal,has additional stamps,probably to pay for the cost of registered mail.I have a Dallay catalogue and it lists prices for these stamps on cover,and alone on cover.
    Image (93).jpg Image (91).jpg Image (94).jpg Image (152).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  6. Michael Javick

7. anglobob

Part 2 ... Image (153).jpg Image (154).jpg Image (155).jpg Image (156).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  8. Michael Javick

Oh...yet more beautiful stamps . I think that i will start adding some of these "artful' stamps to my collection !

9. DonSellos

Lovely stamps, indeed! Great covers, Bob. I like the envelopes too. Looks like they have a Wibault 280 trimotor screened on the center.

Don

10. anglobob

Don....have scanned one of the reverse sides ....all of the covers are Air France envelopes.The sender might have been an employee or had contacts with someone at AirFrance.He could also have been a regular flyer ...I remember flying first class on Braniff between Dallas and London and receiving a goody bag with stationery and other items. Image (159).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  11. anglobob

A registered cover sent in 1946 from Dakar,Senegal to Argentina ,commemorating 10th anniversary of flights between Africa and S America,pioneered by Jean Mermoz.There are a pair of 1946 Victory stamps from AOF and a nice cinderella stamp.Posted on 7 Dec 1946 and arrived in Buenos Aires 10 Dec according to dated backstamp Image (160).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

Nice cover, and the cinderella is a plus. How is it (cinderella) affixed so that it has the black border and the inscription? Is it in a mount?

Don

13. anglobob

Don...the black border and inscription was printed onto the envelope and the cinderella placed on top .It looks like a mount.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  14. DonSellos

Flying on a Braniff aircraft dates you a little. :joyful:It went under for the last time in 1982, I believe. Too bad, it was a nice airline.

The covers look like good quality stationery. The Air France logo pretty much confirms the aircraft as a Wibault, most likely one of the later models built by Wibault-Penhoet. They were used by Air France during the 1930s on the London-Paris and London-Berlin routes.

I'll have to watch on Delcampe for one of those covers for my aircraft on covers collection. One with less pricey franking, of course!:)

Don

anglobob likes this.
  15. anglobob

I purchased this cover for the Pierre and Marie Curie stamp from AEF,part of an omnibus issue from 1938.These are quite uncommon on cover.
    It also has a nice cancellation from Bangui,Ubangi-Shari. Image (161).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  16. anglobob

All of the French Colony stamps I collect are from pre-independence days.Stamps issued in the 1930,s and 1940,s have wonderful designs ,the printing is excellent and some fantastic artwork.For example,the territory of Togo has some very interesting stamps from this period.
    After independence,it is another story........
    Gaudy and classless...a perfect example is posted.
    togo trump.jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  17. DonSellos

Looks like something from Mad Magazine! Good likenesses of The Donald, though. I especially like the one with Hillary looking so pensive and Trump looking somewhat arrogantly triumphant. I wonder if any of these can be found on cover?

Don

anglobob likes this.
  18. anglobob

Enough of this Trump nonsense.....let,s get back to more noteworthy topics.

1939 150th Anniversary of the French Revolution.
    I have completed my set of used stamps.
    I could not resist buying the following stamps.
    Used blocks of four from Inini,with a very uncommon cancellation from Secteur de l,Ouest.
    These stamps are probably my favourites of all the Colony omnibus series.Beautiful engravings and designs, and nice colours. A complete contrast to my latest post from GB... Image (157).jpg Image (158).jpg Image (164).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  19. DonSellos

Beautiful stamps with superb cancels!

Don

20. anglobob

A cover sent from Dahomey to Switzerland in April ,1940
    Not in the most pristine condition,but it has the high value French Revolution stamp attached.I have not found many covers with these stamps.
    It also has a circular censor cancellation. Image (171).jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted