French Colonies

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Sep 10, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I doubt that I could refrain from opening them to see what's inside!

Don

2. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

1939 150th Anniversary of the French Revolution.
    Eight colonies issued an airmail stamp,along with the set of 5 stamps.I have yet to see a used set for sale,so it is a challenge to acquire the full set. Image (4).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  3. anglobob

A used set from French Sudan Image (10).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  4. anglobob

A couple of souvenir sheets from 1937,International Exposition in Paris.The covers are from Togo and French Equatorial Africa,cancelled at Anecho and Port-Gentil.I like these for the more uncommon cancellations. Image (11).jpg

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  5. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

6. anglobob

Another souvenir sheet from 1937 International Exposition of Paris.The cover was sent from Niamey,Niger to a shipping agent in St Denis,Reunion.
    The actual envelope size is 9 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches.
    It will just about fit on my album page....:cat: Image (52).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  7. DonSellos

Bob:

Do you know how mail like this originating in Africa was transported to Reunion during wartime? There are no censor marks or censor tape indicating that the cover had been opened and inspected. Was there no censorship of mail between French colonies or the colonies and France during the war?

Don

8. anglobob

Don...
    According to Wikipedia,mail was censored between France and their colonies but I can,t find much info on mail between different colonies but I imagine it would be censored too.I have some doubts about the legitimacy of this cover,As you say,there are no censor marks at all.However,I did read that all mail during this time took considerably longer to reach its destination.In this example,it left Niger on April 21,1943 and according to the dated backstamp,it arrived in Reunion on Dec 29,1943.
    I haven,t yet come across any other covers from this period.Most of the covers I have are from 1938 and early 1939.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  9. DonSellos

Mail must have gone by ship, and by a neutral country ship at that. Maybe there was scheduled air service across Africa, I don't know. I just don't have a sense of how international commerce and travel was carried out during the war years by non-combatant countries.

Don

10. anglobob

Don...
    I read somewhere that a lot of mail was sent via Spain or Portugal as they were supposedly neutral countries.This could explain the long delays in delivering mail.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  11. anglobob

Some more additions to my expanding cover collection.I originally started with used sets from the omnibus sets but am atttracted to covers with more uncommon cancellations.Both covers are from the 1937 International Exposition in Paris.The first is an airmail cover from Indo China to France,cancelled in Locninh.Most of the covers I have seen from Indo China are from Hanoi or Saigon.
    The second is a registered cover from Mauritania to England,addressed to an old favourite , a Mr HA Wallace of Oldham,whose address is partially covered.
    The cancellation is from Rosso.
    Image (56).jpg Image (57).jpg

12. DonSellos

Both very nice covers! H.A. Wallace must have had an impressive collection.

Don

13. anglobob

Have just received part of my recent spending splurge.....A complete set of 24 souvenir sheets from 1937 International Exposition in Paris.All were sent by registered mail to Paris and all have arrival dates stamped on the back of the envelope.All the envelopes have also been carefully opened.There are some wonderful cancellations.
    One cover here is cancelled at Saigon Central,Indo China.
    The other is more interesting,from Kouang-Tcheou or Kwangchowan.This was a part of Indo China which was leased by the French.Postmark is from Fort Bayard,the main port and capital.After the war,the colony was handed back to China. Image (61).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  14. anglobob

Issues from Inini and AEF..French Equatorial Africa,again from the 1937 Paris International Exposition.
    Inini was an inland territory of French Guiana,administered separately from 1930 to 1946.The sheet has a nice cancellation from St Elie,the old capital.
    The sheet from AEF has a cancellation from Port Gentil,which is now in Gabon. Image (62).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Both sets are very nice covers. I can see why your are pleased to have them in hand. Great additions to your collection. I especially like the Indo-China ones. I am becoming more and more interested in Indo-China while a French colony. I picked up a short set of the 1907 definitives. I hope to get it filled out with the higher values at the Wichita stamp show coming up in mid-February.

Don

16. anglobob

Don...I thought you might be interested in the 1933 airmail set as it shows a plane,the Farman F190....I have a lot I need to sort out.
    Just looked at that 1907 set in Gibbons...set of 18 shows 400UKL mint and 275UKL used.The high value 10f catalogues at 130UKL and 140UKL
    Bob

17. anglobob

Souvenir sheet from 1937 International Exposition of Paris ,from Wallis and Futuna.Sent by registered mail to Paris and has three cancellations on the back.One arrival stamp in Paris,one cancel in transit from New Hebrides and one more which I am having difficulty reading.The cover has a nice cancellation...Futuna French Protectorate. Image (64).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  18. anglobob

A couple of covers I acquired at Stampex 2019 in London.Both are from Indo China.The first one is a registered letter with a set of 1937 International Exposition of Paris stamps,sent on 20 Jan 1938 to New York.Nice cancellations from Hue,Annam and a Not paid for United States Mail Service stamp which I have not seen before on a cover.Has three cancels on the reverse,Saigon,Seattle and Church Sr Annex NYC
    The second cover is from 1940 with cancels from Saigon and one stamp from the 1939 Anniversary of the French Revolution.There were only 15,000 printed and used copies are hard to find,even harder to find on a cover. Image (69).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  19. DonSellos

That top cover is a beauty! A question about it, though, that you may not be able to answer. I note that it has a Broadway Stamp Company return and is addressed to the same Nassau Street address. Do you suppose the cover was franked by Broadway Stamps and sent to the post master at Hue with a request to cancel the stamps and return? Just curious on how this would have been handled.

Do you suppose that hand stamp "Not paid for United States Air Mail Service" was intended as an explanatory note for delivery time from Seattle to New York? I don't know how such a situation was normally handled. It's my impression that if an airmail envelope was used without the correct postage affixed, the item went airmail with postage due upon delivery. Maybe a different solution with mail originating from a foreign post office. An interesting hand stamp for sure.

Don

20. anglobob

150th Anniversary of French Revolution from Indo China,issued in 1939.
    I like these for the more uncommon cancellations from Cambodge. Image (76).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted