French Colonies

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Amen! anglobob,
    Unless you find a dealer willing to sell FP for 1/5th CV it can really become costly.
    When I started my FSAT collection I was buying from a fellow in Florida who had inherited his dad's stamp business and was selling the stamps for just about any offer.
    I was lucky to find a lightly used Davo hingeless album for $30, but the extra 6 pages dating up to 2001, from Davo cost me another $30.
    Albeit, my Florida dealer had all the early expensive issues up to 1997. I later found that filling out the later pages 1998-2001 nickel & dimed me to the extent that when I finished the collection I had spent just shy of $1500.
    I would bet that there are probably other collectors in this august group who have had this same experience.

DonSellos, anglobob and Molokai like this.
  2. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

My French colonies collection is just based on the omnibus issues from 1931 to 1958. I have both mint and used....finding good postally used copies is more challenging.I would estimate that most of my purchases are on Delcampe and sometimes I pay about 10 percent of catalogue...on average,I would say about 20 percent of Yvert catalogue prices.I have a Gibbons catalogue but find their prices considerably higher. I also have to add the cost of registered mail,so I try and find one or two dealers to buy from.I also print my own album pages.
    My wife can,t see this so I will admit I have spent more than the 1500USD you mention....:bored::bored::bored:
    There is one set I would dearly love to find..1939 Anniversary of the French Revolution......beautiful stamps with an equally beautiful catalogue price of over 3000Euros for a complete set.A set of used stamps is probably higher and I have yet to see one for sale.

Harry Golightly likes this.
  3. Harry Golightly

Ain't life GRAND!
    Collecting these little pieces of 'Art' has brought me such pleasure and relief from boredom, it's a shame more people either can't or will not find pleasure in this hobby.
    I wish you luck in finding your 1939 Ann. of the French Revolution set for 1/10 CV..& perhaps you'll wish me luck on finding a MNH copy of the 1£ Geo-V Falklands Centenary for less than $2K....LOL!
    All the Best Anglobob,
    Harry

anglobob likes this.
  4. anglobob

Thanks ......I.ll keep my eyes peeled for that Falklands Centenary stamp.It may be easier to find than the Revolution set.There are 128 stamps from 25 countries.I have only seen about 5 used sets from an individual colony....and average price per set is about 60 Euros. I don,t know whether to grab them when I see them....or wait in the hope a complete series set shows up. Decisions...decisions...decisions...

Harry Golightly likes this.
  5. Harry Golightly

Hi Bob,
    & I'll do the same RE: your French Revolution set. It take it that either mint or used is acceptable.
    Now I need to hit my set of Scott catalogues to see what this set looks like.
    It's an Omnibus for 25 countries, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
    HG

anglobob likes this.
  6. anglobob

Hello again......
    Used is my first preference......have decided to buy them when I see them....might take me a long time to complete the set but at least it is a start.Have located two sets so far ...one at just under 50 percent of Gibbons and the other just under 30 percent...Gibbons prices used stamps a lot higher than mint .
    Am also haggling with a seller over a mint set...my best offer is 900euros but he is holding out for 1400euros.Average price I have found on Delcampe for this set is just over 1100euros.....less for hinged.
    Scott lists all the omnibus series in the front of each catalogue but not with their values,I believe.

7. Harry Golightly

8. anglobob

HG......Yes..I have seen this,its actually been on sale for quite a while.Not a bad price but unfortunately hinged...:bucktooth::bucktooth:
    Thanks....

9. Harry Golightly

I would guess that a MNH set could be at least double this price,
    thus making the dealer holding out for his 1400 Euros price understandable.
    (Although the stamp market is a wee bit soft presently.)
    Perhaps not so in Europe.
    Good Luck getting a MNH set for the 900.
    I'm still amazed at how well centered this hinged set is and the quality exhibited in most French colony stamps.
    H

anglobob likes this.
  10. anglobob

Stamps from Guadeloupe and French Guiana,issued in 1935 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the French West Indies. Image (124).jpg Image (125).jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  11. anglobob

A couple of souvenir sheets issued in 1937 to commemorate the Colonial Arts Exposition in Paris.There were 24 different sheets issue,with an imperf.stamp of 3 Franc denomination.This apparently was the rate for a certified letter to France.I have seen a few on registered letters.These I believe were cancelled to order...but ,nevertheless,nice items to add to my collection. Image (126).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  12. anglobob

In July 1939,a set of five semi postal stamps was issued for 24 colonies to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the French Revolution.The surtax was to be used for the defence of each colony.There was also an airmail stamp issued for eight colonies.
    I think these are the most impressive stamps of all the omnibus series.The design and printing is first class and the colours are very attractive.It is also the most expensive set to buy.A set of mint,never-hinged stamps catalogues at over 3000euros.A set of used stamps is almost impossible to find and catalogue price is even higher.However,I am trying to complete a used set......so far,I have managed to acquire a set from 7 colonies,plus a few individual stamps. Image (133).jpg Image (132).jpg Image (131).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  13. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Very nice! Are these some of the recently received stamps you mentioned? If so, they are well worth the wait.

Don

14. anglobob

Thanks,Don
    Yes....these are some of my new additions.Purchased mostly in November.I think the Ecuadorian post waits until I have a few letters and then decides to deliver them all at once !!!
    I am still expecting more but everything has shut down now so it will hopefully be after Xmas.
    Bob

15. anglobob

A registered letter from the French Indian Settlements to England,with a complete set of the 1937 International Exposition of Paris stamps.
    The recipient must have been a keen collector of French Colonies as I have found numerous covers from this time period with this address. Image (134).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  16. Harry Golightly

Season's Greetings Bob,
    There is a rather friendly and inexpensive seller on eBay that was selling French Polynesia @ about 25%CV. Unfortunately he has sold out but I believe he's selling a lot of Martinique or some other French colony. You may want to give a look-see.. He is found eBay I.D. listed as 'Stampmess'. I've corresponded w/ him on occasion and is preparing retirement.
    (Wish I would have jumped in w/ his earlier Polynesia issues...Woulda, shoulda,
    Coulda...
    Cheers,
    Harry

17. anglobob

MANY THANKS....Wll take a look
    Cheers
    Bob

18. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Hi Bob:

Another very attractive item. I like that stamp set!

Don

19. anglobob

Hello Don....thanks.
    I now have a complete set of the 21 colonies on registered letters.I am waiting to receive them.Last time I checked,they had just left Ecuador customs.I will post some scans as soon as I receive them.
    There are also 24 miniature sheets but these are much harder to find on covers.
    Bob

20. anglobob

Registered letters from various colonies to France.Each one has a complete set of stamps commemorating the 1937 International Exposition,held in Paris. There are 21 covers .Each letter is also date stamped on the reverse showing date of arrival in France.Eve ry cover bar one arrived no later than one month after the day it was sent.I think this was excellent service ,considering they were probably sent by ship .I hope you like the covers I have chosen,mostly for their cancels. Image (135).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted