French Colonies

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Sep 10, 2018.

1. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Image (93).jpg Image (94).jpg Hello to everybody..
    I have lots of time on my hands these days so have decided to start a new thread.
    My French cinderella collection has reached the point where I am not finding much stuff that interests me,so I spent a little time looking for other philatelic interests.It seemed logical to look at French Colonial issues ,so I am concentrating on the Omnibus issues from 1931 to 1954. Here is a list of these issues
    1931 Colonial Exposition in Paris 103 stamps from 26 countries
    1936 Antilles Tricentenary 18stamps from 3 countries
    1937 Intl Exposition in Paris 126 stamps from 21 countries and 24 souvenir sheets
    1938 Pierre and Marie Curie 21 stamps from 21 countries
    1939 Rene Caillie Centenary 24 stamps from 8 countries
    1939 New York World Fair 48 stamps from 24 countries
    1939 150th Anniv of French Revolution 128 stamps from 25 countries
    1941 Defense of the Empire 72 stamps from 24 countries
    1941 NationaL Fund 32 stamps from 8 countries
    1941 Marshall Petain 48 stamps from 24 countries
    1942 Protection of Infants/Education fund 83 stamps from 24 countries
    1942 Transport Plane 65 stamps from 8 countries
    1944 Colonial Culture 48 stamps from 24 countries
    1944 Red Cross 14 stamps from 14 countries
    1945 Felix Eboue 26 stamps from 13 countries
    1946 Victory 15 stamps from 15 countries
    1946 Chad to Rhine 90 stamps from 15 countries
    1949 UPU 12 stamps from 12 countries
    1950 Tropical Medicine 10 stamps from 10 countries
    1954 Liberation Anniv 12 stamps from 12 countries

As you can see,there a re lots of stamps covering numerous themes.The designs,especially those of earlier issues,are very attractive.I have concentrated first on mint sets but am also looking for used issues....a little harder to find.The Vichy issued sets from WW2 were not sold in the individual colonies so most used copies would probably be dubious,
    The 1939 French Revolution set is my favourite..also the most expensive,almost 4000euros catalogue price.Most of the other sets are within my price range!!!

My wife is helping me with designing and printing alum pages.I will try and post some as my collection develops.I can post a couple of pages here from the 1942 Protection of Infants and Education set.
    Bob

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  2. anglobob

ALBUM pages.....

3. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Very nicely done album pages, Bob. What software did you decide on? I like the fonts you use, and the use of French titles and descriptions instead of English. That's a long list of stamps to acquire, especially if you go for used. Used stamps with readable cancels from colonial towns and cities would make a great collection, but then I'm a used stamp person. Always good to see world-wide stamps. Show us your new acquisitions as you get them mounted.

Don

4. anglobob

Thanks,Don.
    My wife does all the computer work .I give her the basic idea and all the details regarding names etc...I think she just uses Word.I will find out more info regarding this.
    I have been able to acquire mint,never hinged sets without too much difficulty.Delcampe has a lot of this material.Used sets are a different story.I have only seen about two or three complete sets of used stamps.Trying to get a complete set of used stamps will be far more challenging.
    I will be in England next week and am planning to visit three or four stamp fairs,so hopefully will be able to find some new material.I will keep you posted....
    Bob

5. anglobob

Curie.jpg 21 stamps from 21 different French Colonies were issued in 1938 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the discovery of radium by Pierre and Marie Curie.
    Catalogue value for a mint ,never hinged set is over 500Euros and complete sets are not that hard to find.However,I have yet to find a set of used stamps but have managed to track down 10 stamps so far.I have also found this nice block from French Equatorial Africa.

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  6. DonSellos

Indeed, a nice block and cancel! Did you buy it? It is priced at $9 for a single in my 25-years old Scott catalog. Must be around three times that now. I also noted that Scott priced the mint and used stamps the same, which indicates to me that there are not many used stamps for the issue. Not surprising. For me, semi-postals have always seemed like a hard sell for postal authorities. I have never bought any of the few the U.S. has issued, and I doubt many postal patrons needing stamps are aware of them. I could be wrong, though. They may be much more popular in Europe.

Don

7. anglobob

Don.....I purchased this but sent photo of listing as am having problems with my scanner.I don,t have a catalogue but the seller stated catalogue value was 108 Euros.I plan on buying a catalogue on my trip.
    Semi postals are quite popular in Europe,although as far as I know,there are only two issues from GB.
    Bob

8. anglobob

1937 Paris International Exposition of Colonial Arts

A set of 6 stamps with a common design from 21 colonies,making a total of 126 stamps .There were also 24 souvenir sheets containing an imperforated stamp.
    The additional sheets are from Inini,Kwangchowan and Wallis and Futuna.
    Used stamps are not too difficult to find...I only need two more colonies to complete the set.I have scanned a couple of pages,some with interesting postmarks. Image (110).jpg Image (111).jpg Image (112).jpg

9. anglobob

1941 Defense of the Empire
    A series of 72 stamps from 24 different colonies was prepared by the Vichy Govt for use in the colonies but were not placed on sale there as most colonies declared for the Free French before the stamps were shipped.
    Each set of three contained a common design of an infantryman but the other designs differed from colony to colony.
    The design and illustrations of earlier colonial issues are very intricate and detailed compared to these stamps,but I still find them interesting. Image (113).jpg Image (114).jpg

10. anglobob

On another thread,there is a discussion about what people think is the golden age of stamp collecting.Regarding French Colonies,I think the 1930,s is the most appealing....lots of omnibus issues and beautiful designs and printings.
    Three colonies,French Guiana,Guadeloupe and Martinique issued a set of 6 stamps to commemorate the Tercentenary of the Antilles,or West Indies.
    The printing and design in my opinion is excellent..and attractive colours give the set a classic look.
    Gibbons catalogues a mint set at 70UKL per colony and 90UKL for a used set...not particulary high but they are not easy to find.So far,I have only managed to find a used set from Martinique Image (122).jpg

11. anglobob

1931 Exposition Coloniale de Paris

Another omnibus set from the 1930,s
    A total of 103 stamps from 26 countries.Each colony,with the exception of Indo China,issued a set of 4 stamps ....I have no idea why there were only 3 stamps from Indo China.Trying to find used stamps is a challenge,especially with nice cancellations.There are a few offers for complete mint sets but I havent seen a full set of used stamps on sale.I have scanned a couple of sets. Image (121).jpg Image (120).jpg

DonSellos and Harry Golightly like this.
  12. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Nice Stamps Bob,
    I had a like-wise 'flirtation' w/ a French Colony collection & ended up finishing a collection of FSAT/TAAF material up to 2001 in a Davo hingeless album. The French stamps are, put simply, quite appealing.
    Good luck w/ you continued collecting,
    Harry

Molokai likes this.
  13. DonSellos

Very nice stamps, Bob. As a collector of used stamps, I think you should take your time and continue seeking used with nice CDCs or lightly canceled. The stamps you have some great cancels. More will turn up, I'm sure.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  14. anglobob

Don...thanks. I am always on the look out for nice cancels.The majority of the used stamps I see from this time period seem to have good cancellations.
    Right now,I am contemplating buying a set of the 1937 Colonies Exposition....20 different registered covers with a full set of 6 stamps on each envelope....it is very tempting but quite expensive...

Molokai likes this.
  15. anglobob

Thanks.....I think the stamps from FSAT/TAAF are very attractive...I was seriously thinking of starting a collection before I decided on other areas.I might reconsider once my present collection is complete....wife and money permitting..:p:p

Molokai likes this.
  16. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!!

You think you have problems with the little lady. Here is what <DON> has bought just this month!! ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    DonSellos likes this.
  17. DonSellos

Now you gotta admit, all of that would be fun to go through!

I don't buy large lots because I am not confident that I can accurately assess their purchase price vis-a-vis value. However, it is my observation over 50+ years of collecting that stamp/cover lots, mixtures, collections, can be critical for keeping a collector active. My sense is that lack of access to new batches of stamps and covers to examine, catalog, and arrange or write up in albums is a major reason for collectors to drift away. We need new stuff to maintain our interest. It is also the process of identifying and catalog new stamps & covers that increases our knowledge of philately and collecting. Spousal objections aside, we need those big lots!

Don

18. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

An excellent point <DON> - never thought of it that way but so very true! I know when I've bought lots (small) I've had a great time exploring them and, yes, definitely piques one's interest in the hobby. As to wives - I don't have too much problem bringing in stamps but the books...it is H**l to pay. :eek:

19. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Don,
    Are you auditioning for a role on 'Hoarders'?
    Lordy-Mercy, now that's not a stamp collection, more like a stamp convention.....LOL! (Actually, I love it)
    RE: Molokai & FSAT,
    I should be the one trying to get on Hoarders as I just got through bidding on 6 lots of French Polynesia. All 6 were selling for about 1/5th CV so I jumped in & luckily was 'pipped at the post'. Probably saving me several thousand dollars
    as I would have felt compelled to finish the collection at least to 2001 & bought the Devo hingeless album, etc, etc.
    What a splendid obsession

20. anglobob

French Polynesia is another collection I could get interested in....I have the time....just need the money....

Draft saved Draft deleted