foreign stamp availability

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Larry L. Taylor, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Does anyone find it curious that when looking for relatively common stamps, e.g. < $0.20 (or even $1.00) per stamp (catalog value), that some stamps are just plain unobtainable - at any price? I can't call it a pet peeve 'cause that's part of the hunt trying to complete used sets or a page in an album.

Now my other issue is buying the more recent 'stuff'. Almost to a dealer (at least on www.stamps2go.com), there are so few dealers offering any of the current (last 10 years?) stamps. I haven't bought foreign mixtures on paper for maybe 15 years because there seemed to be so much duplication in the mixtures. Now I think mixtures appear to be less available because: (1) nobody wants to deal with the self-adhesives, and (2) not many people are using snail mail any more. Guess the postal services are issuing stamps for collectors, hoping they're never used; makes for a much greater profit base for them.

Philactica and DonSellos like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Larry, what you posit is very true. At most shows in the Bay Area we have at most 1 or 2 dealers that even bother selling newer stamps. That and a myriad of other reasons is why I stopped collecting most modern issues. The amount of work involved in recovering a used self-adhesive stamp will insure that the work of recovering them will fall on only the most dedicated collectors. I alas save most of the commemoratives on cover because I feel that at some point they will be rarer than the pristine examples the USPS will have collectors buy.

Philactica and DonSellos like this.
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I also think that most traders do not see a good income/sales for newer stamps due to the reasons you have stated. :)

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

In inescapable truth is stamps are getting less due to demand and other mentioned reasons.
    This scenario would create a higher price offer for new issues which implodes to even fewer wanting to collect as they traditionally once did.
    It gets too costly all round and only the issuers make the money when dealers offer 30% to 40% of face for mint.

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted