Fiscals

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by E-7, Jun 22, 2015.

?

All Time Favorite U.S.A. Fiscal Stamp

Poll closed Jun 29, 2015.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 39

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. E-7

E-7 New Member

What do you think?

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]
    I'll harken back to the patent medicine days when laudanum was sold at the drug store. I have lots of favorite revenue stamps, this certainly is one of them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Maybe you can include the photos of those two here E-7.
    Welcome to the forum. :)

4. tasha

tasha Active Member

That's an interesting stamp and love the old New York items they seem to be very popular and hard to find sometimes

5. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Welcome to the forums... revenues are not my specific interest though I do have a number of IntRev varieties... many with the hand-written cancels so populer in the 1860's. Would like to listen to what you have learned.

Hoch:

Had the equivalent of Laudanum prescribed when i was younger... good looking link to pic.!

6. Hochstrasse

I'm not specifically a revenue collector either, but I do have a modest U.S. revenue collection and a small stock book of private die stamps of which the McMunn stamp is one of. Lots of the early revenues do have those pen and ink obliterations, some with beautiful handwriting styles. Most of my revenues are the perforated type, I have very few imperf and part-perfs. The volume of revenues is so large that it is a specialty unto it's own. Some of the revenues are very expensive so it becomes a choice about whether to invest in general issues or these costly revenues. For me I would rather have the classic U.S. general issue stamps than I would an obscure revenue. I do enjoy the revenues, the many types like telegraph, silver tax, narcotics, stock transfer, documentary, potato tax and so forth. I still try to pick up the inexpensive ones that I lack at shows. Unfortunately, many of the dealers generally do not carry a great stock of them. Actually a good way to acquire them is at auction. The bulk of what I have came from an auction lot of revenues.

7. E-7

E-7 New Member

8. E-7

E-7 New Member

Hi SATX

Which area(s) are you most interested in learning? I'm only a back yard collector, so my opinions are only opinions.

E-7

9. E-7

E-7 New Member

Hochstrasse

Many years ago, as a young broke collector, I realized U.S.A. revenue stamps were the cheap way to go. Back then no body or hardly anybody was looking for revenue stamps. I was able to accumulate a large amount for little or no money. Tons of cancels and plate varieties to discover in revenues.

E-7

Hochstrasse and SATX Collector like this.
  10. SATX Collector

My "interests" are primarily US to start with... I have 2 mint and 2 used collections in albums that I pay attention to, but I have thousands of stamps in addition to the albums. i have purchased albums and collections at auction but not with any focus... just 'fishing' so to speak... I am truly one that loves the search!

I have also recently branched out into World Wide... there are a lot of older collectors and dealers that are getting out of the business and I buy a lot of their stocks, usually at 30% or less of Scott value. My biggest problem now is that I don't have enough time to index the last lot before the next lot comes in... one of these days I will post a photo of my 'office' (spare bedroom) that shows how behind I really am! But it gives me untold hours of enjoyment just to sort through them and I also catalogue the history of series, etc.

11. E-7

E-7 New Member

SATX, I also have my own stamp room one of my spare bedrooms. It is difficult to process my stamps into my collection, everything is difficult when you live alone like me, I have to do everything or it doesn't get done.

Take care

E-7

12. Hochstrasse

Even twenty-five years ago revenue lots at auction didn't get the attention that they get these days. I regret not getting some of them. You made a good decision to get them when they were inexpensive. They are interesting and even though I will never get many of the pricey ones, I will continue to accumulate them.

13. E-7

E-7 New Member

Hochstrasse that is true 25 years ago did not get much attention. Its been over 60 years ago when I first started with my revenues. Of course there were events that got in my way, but even then I found time to study these wonderful stamps. Even when I was stationed in England in the Senior NCO Barracks I had some revenues I had purchased in London to study and classify. I had purchased a nice sized box of U.S. Stamps on the Strand, these kept me busy for over two years.

E-7

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  14. Hochstrasse

I know what you mean. A while back I bought a lot of stock transfer receipts with New York State and Federal stock transfer stamp attached. It was a real pleasure to peruse them, a real who's who of brokerage companies. Most of them I kept as is, I removed some of the stamps and put the rest in plastic sleeves. It still remains fascinating to review some of the historic detail of the stocks, the price of the stock and the applicable tax.

15. E-7

E-7 New Member

Hochstrasse that just goes to show great minds think alike. About 6 months ago I purchased a large lot of the 1898 Revenue Stamps on Stock Memos of Sale. I have been slowly researching them. Expect it to take a long time to finish it. Just this morning I researched a single stamp with Y. & M. V. R. R., cancel that turned out to be Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad. Researching the cancels is work, but sometimes very interesting.

E-7

Hochstrasse likes this.
  16. Hochstrasse

Yes, researching cancels is difficult. One of these days I'm going to check out the Western Philatelic Library to see what range of research materials they have. They are within reasonable distance from where I live. I particularly like to investigate the historical aspects of the philatelic items I have, I sense from your input you like to do the same. I also got a small lot of state revenues a number of years back that some good reference material would shed some light on. It's good to have another revenue aficionado on the site!

17. SATX Collector

I know the feeling... even though I am married now, we have been separated by work for the last 2-1/2 years, only getting together for a couple of weeks every few months. But ours is self-planned; we know it is 'temporary time' and she will be retiring soon.

And I have a 3-BR house in South Texas with one BR for my office/stamp and coin room. I decided I have seen my last apartment and will spend the extra money to have a house with plenty of space. But I too am not thrilled about doing everything by myself, for myself: such is the life of 'bachelors'.

18. SATX Collector

Bet you also wish some of them could still be traded in, right? I have a couple of older stock sheets that I know weren't worth much more than I paid for them but at the time, they would have been worth a pretty penny!

Hochstrasse likes this.
  19. Hochstrasse

Some of the transaction amounts seem small in comparison to today's inflated money, but the amounts are probably proportional to many of today's transactions. Lots of railroad stocks during the later 19th century. I assume you are referring to the high value green Stock Transfer stamps? I don't have many of them, but I really like them. Some of the values I sure wish I had in real money.

20. E-7

E-7 New Member

Hochstrasse, you said in reply to my posting (?) "I assume you are referring to the high value green Stock Transfer stamps?" No I am not. The green stock transfer stamps were issued starting in 1940. What I have are the 1898 Revenue Series Documentary Stamps either Battleship or the Commerce on the Memo of Stock Sales documents!

Yes, lots of railroad stocks and steam ship stocks transactions.

If you have any interest at all in the Revenue Series of 1898, there is a blog devoted just to this issue. "1898Revenues". A lot of good information and examples and a few stories about this issue.

E-7

Draft saved Draft deleted