First Day Covers - "who" collects them

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Sarahrtw, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

This article was in my Google alerts, about the craze for first day covers of commemorative stamps (like this Doctor Who set... *I want them!! I love Doctor Who!!*).

So, I'll put it to you, do you collect commemorative stamps and/or first day covers?
    With whom are they most popular?
    What do you think of the article??

etc etc.

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  2. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

i have 100's of GB firsday covers, i do not collect them but use them as trade material for stamps missing from my collections, so anyone who does collect them let me know and lets see if we can come to an arrangement that will be mutually benificial :D

Sarahrtw likes this.
  3. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Oh! That's a good idea :) Good thinking with that plan, Steve.

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have some first day covers, but really don't collect them actively anymore. During the '90's I collected a lot of the new wallpaper and got kind of burned out on them. The ones I really like are the older ones. If I'm at a stamp show and see a nice older one at a reasonable price I've still got a soft spot for them.

5. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

what era do you class as older?

6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I just have few commemorative stamps and first day covers as I do not specifically collect them.

7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have a first day cover from Danzig as well as the U.S. baby
    zeppelin C18 first day cover and flown on the Graf Zeppelin. I have a
    couple of the older '30's first day covers with tiny photos on them from the U.S. For
    me the typical first day cover that I might pick up would be from the '40's
    with a topical stamp I might be interested in.

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

I collect a few but it depends on the cover as for the Dr Who stamps I have them coming for Xmas from my other half :D and the new series starts tomorrow night :D

9. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley New Member

I have several US first day covers, for a while there I was picking up all the new stamps in a FDC but that was years ago. :(
    I need to start that back up, I've always dug the cancelations as well as being the first to get the new stamps vs buying older stamps which would cost a bit more.

Draft saved Draft deleted