Father's Collection

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by GoldenEgg54, Jan 30, 2019.

1. GoldenEgg54

GoldenEgg54 New Member

My name is Brad and I am retired, living in Hilton Head, SC.

I inherited my father's stamp collection after he passed away in 2010. As the executor, I tried to sell his collection to the mystic stamp company, but was underwhelmed by their offer. So I decided not sell it, but periodically like to look at the stamps and may ultimately try and find a way to unload them. I figured a forum would be a good place to get involved in.

2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Hi, Brad -

My experience is that unless you have fairly rare items a stamp dealer is going to come in around 10%-15% of catalog. Your best bet is to educate yourself on the stamps so you know what you have. Then try a few on eBay and see how it goes.

3. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Hello Brad..
    What sort of collection do you have ? Maybe you could scan a few pages and maybe someone here could give you some advice.
    Welcome to the club....
    Bob

4. GoldenEgg54

GoldenEgg54 New Member

Thanks Bob! My father was very articulate, so he was very careful mounting his stamps in plastic sleeves. I have 10 albums (including 5 albums of plate blocks). I enjoy the history of the stamps and glad I found this forum.

5. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Hi Brad,
    I strongly suggest you heed Molokai's suggestion of educating yourself on exactly what your father's collection contains. The internet offers the means of finding values, whether through looking up prices realized via sites like eBay, HipStamp,
    & other sites. I have found that most Stamp collectors do it for either historical, pure artistic pleasure of the stamps, relaxation, etc. other than investment.
    Good luck in finding the reason your dad put together his collection.
    Regards,
    Harry
    Addendum: & Welcome to this forum!

6. GoldenEgg54

GoldenEgg54 New Member

Thanks Harry!

7. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

You are very welcome G-E54,
    Please keep the forum apprised of how your research goes as I'm sure there are many of us interested.
    Best Regards,
    H-G44

Draft saved Draft deleted