Fancy Cancels of 1893-94

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by RichardBabcock, Nov 21, 2020 at 2:29 PM.

1. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Active Member

IMG_20201121_0001.jpg Could use some help on identifying these cancels.

BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Richard!
    I recently discovered the Stamp Smarter website which I posted a few days ago where I was looking for cork cancel reference material. A quick peruse identified a couple of your cancels. Second row from the bottom first stamp appears to be a crescent cancel from Waxahachie, Texas circa 1894. The same row third stamp from the left looks like the stars in circles cancel from Bay Ridge, New York circa 1892. The cancel likely continued into the Columbus issues period. A search function is built into the fancy cancel feature which allows a search by subject or a search by year. Finally top row far right appears to be an "O" letter cancel that goes back to 1873, Cole #LO-1 with no town reference. A quick disclaimer is that I am certainly not a cancel expert having just found this neat reference, but I'm sure you'll have some fun with it. https://www.stampsmarter.org/features/FancyCancelsClassicView.html

DonSellos likes this.
  3. Hochstrasse

Third row down, third from the left is a circular geometric (the one that looks like a Maltese cross) from Norwood, MA circa 1894.

DonSellos likes this.
  4. RichardBabcock

Hochstrasse Thank You, I have found most of them, The r thing is a boot lol, I will write them all down, In my other book I have a lot more, one is a mask, Some are rare, Not common to find.I am all so going to try to put together cancels for every day of the year 1893 on Scott 231 if i can. It should take me awhile lol

5. RichardBabcock

6. RichardBabcock

7. RichardBabcock

8. Hochstrasse

Richard, some very nice cancels there. Fancy cancels and unique cancels are also something I collect. I have some I will post at some time in the future. I'm glad you were able to identify a bunch more. If you find some other links which catalog cork cancels, fancy cancels of the 19th century please don't hesitate to post them.
    Hochstrasse

Draft saved Draft deleted