Famous Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by tasha, Jan 10, 2015.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

Has anyone ever found or collected a stamp that has been found in a museum or is worth an absolute fortune? A famous stamp that has been known throughout the world and hunted down by collectors everywhere?

2. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I don't have any in the 'famous' or 'absolute fortune' category but I do have one of the Mint Newfoundland issues that was supposed to be a stamp but was never officially issued and therefore not valid for postage. Not sure why I even bought it but it was an oddity at the time... will go through the boxes and take a picture of it or will post the info once I remember where I put it. :inpain:

Molokai likes this.
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I do not have those kind of stamps. Maybe I have one or two that can be considered rare but still not worth a fortune or much.

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple of penny Blacks, not worth a fortune but they have a claim to fame :)

zararina and SATX Collector like this.
  5. SATX Collector

I am going to get one soon... just to say I have one and to put 'closure' on one end of my collection... :smuggrin:

Of course, the other end of the collection will ALWAYS be open...;)

6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Yes, many public collections like the National Postal Museum in Washington D.C. contain old classic stamps that are not necessarily all that expensive and within the reach of many collectors. The Pictorials issues, the Banknotes and Bureau issues are all avidly collected by many U.S. collectors myself included.

I don't possess anything that is worth an absolute fortune, but the joy of collecting is priceless to me.

James-2489 and SATX Collector like this.
  7. SATX Collector

Echo that, Hoch! Can't begin to say enough about the kick I get out of bidding on, receiving, and filling 'holes' in the albums. Even get some inexpensive kiloware every so often just to pick through them.

Waxing philosophical -- I think one of the reasons my blood pressure is so good is because I can get away from the world and its drama for hours at a time with this hobby.

James-2489 and Hochstrasse like this.
  8. zararina

Right that collection is priceless for its collector.
    Definitely there is no drama in collecting stamps. Maybe except if the mail is undelivered. :p

SATX Collector likes this.
  9. tasha

tasha Active Member

Yes I must say that most of mine are absolutely worthless but the fun and excitement in going to find them, trading them and having a piece of history is really what it is all about for me. I love history and the changes that each country has been through, shows in the stamps

10. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, my most 'Famous' and collectible stamp, is also my most valuable stamp (by a long way). It is an 1840 (plate 1) position JF. 2d blue.
    It's a very clean 4 margin example with a red maltese cross cancellation. I would guess that it's current value is between £750 - £1000. Many times the price that I paid for it back in 1961. As an apprentice, it cost me about one month's wages!

upload_2015-2-4_9-32-54.png

James

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  11. zararina

A really good stamp and investment you have there. ;)

12. Mark_Wapask

Mark_Wapask New Member

I've purchased many collections over the last 30+ years.
    I'm still hoping to hit the jackpot.
    I have done well, I am far from the top 1000 of collectors.
    http://wmistampcollector.blogspot.com/

SATX Collector and James-2489 like this.
  13. James-2489

Hello, nice website. I didn't know that a "Deltiologist" refers to someone who studies and collects postcards. Hopefully I will learn something new every day.
    Oh, get well soon.
    James

14. James-2489

Hello, It's a shame that my other stamps of the same era are not as fine, otherwise I would have hit the Jackpot. My 2x penny blacks are, at best in fair condition, same for the other blue and a few of the reds. The rest of the reds are ok for plate numbers or plate positions. At most worth a few dollars each.
    James.

zararina likes this.
  15. zararina

Sounds great enough, I do not even have one of those. :D

16. Luke Ferguson

Luke Ferguson New Member

Sadly, I haven't found any yet. I usually collect based on the stamp's aesthetic value rather than its historical value. However, I'd love to find something super rare and prized for my collection. Maybe one day I'll stumble across something old, but it'll probably be faded making it little value to me lol. :)

17. James-2489

Hello, I have never collected because of the potential or real value of a stamp. The 2d blue for example was bought because it was/is a beautiful clean example and it has my initials 'JF'. It cost me a months wages in 1961 (Age 15).
    If I compare it's present potential value to my last months wage before I retired in 2006 then I would be making a loss.
    James.

18. tasha

tasha Active Member

Hahaha, a stamp that cost a months wage wow! But it is nice to have something that you got when you were a teenager as the memory of buying it is worth it!! I got a stamp that cost me a record in trade, my mothers "Led ZEPPELIn" album which she really was not happy with, after I returned with a stamp that had no value at all.

19. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

I'd like to see that stamp SATX. Did you ever post an image here on StampExchange? I've seen some Newfoundland Cinderellas which were quite rare.

20. SATX Collector

I would be proud of that one too!

Draft saved Draft deleted