Fake $2.60 Graf Zeppelin Stamp

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Does anyone have information on the fake $2.60 Graf Zeppelin stamps which were noted in the media in the early 1950s? The most I find is in Sloane's Column where he examined one and listed the flaws (paper, lettering, 'missing rear engine.' An image of one, perchance?

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Molokai, I believe this is the genuine article for comparison.
    Not mine I'm afraid.
    upload_2015-10-17_10-41-23.png
    Regards, James.

3. Molokai

Thanks, James - I'll take two of them! :)

For reference the Sloane's Column is for 6-Sep-1952, page 14 in the book.

Perhaps *someone* can find an image of said fake for comparison.

4. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Molokai, I suggest that you download TedescoIndex.pdf
    Once downloaded use the search box for zeppelin and you will find 38 references to zeppelin forgeries etc. You'll have to chase these down yourself. good luck.
    James.

From Lynnes stamps..
    The 1930 $2.60 Graf Zeppelin airmail stamp (Scott C15) was also forged, but this time an engraved stamp was duplicated by engraving.

These forgeries have been attributed to Angelo Panelli, who was known to market them and other forgeries, but it was likely hand-engraved on a copper plate at his request. Illustrated here, left to right, are a genuine unused Scott C15, a genuine used C15, and the engraved forgery with a fake cancel resembling the genuine cancel.

The forgery comes very close to matching the gauge 11 perforations of a genuine $2.60 Graf Zeppelin, but the engraving is weak, especially on the background and the zeppelin in front of the globe.

As a final identifier, on the used examples the cancel says “REGISTED” instead of “REGISTER”.

The forgeries are quite popular and “used” examples sell for $400 to $500, close to the $600 Scott catalog value of the genuine stamp.

5. Molokai

Thanks so much, James! You 'da man' on stamps. :)

6. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

That is strange. I cannot find a picture of a fake one anywhere on the interwebs. Google Images has let me down.

7. Molokai

I could not find one, either. I suspect the place to look would be in the stamp magazines 1952-53 when the issue first seems to have flared up. I have Stamps Weekly but only going back to the early 1960s.

8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

$(KGrHqV,!pcE-v8GkcE,BPznP0)zPw~~60_12.JPG $T2eC16N,!)cE9s4PsS5RBRd+(U0d)g~~60_35.jpg
    It is said that this is a set of forgeries, but I seem to see a small "copy" on the one with the reverse showing. The others are distinctly marked "copy" and are considered reproductions. I don't know if there is a confusion of terminology or if the forgeries were marked "copy" by someone after it was discovered they were not legit.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Gunny likes this.
  9. Molokai

Cool, thanks! Here is an excerpt from Sloane's Column for 6-Sep 1952. (Sloane's Column edited and arranged by George T Turner, BIA 1961, 1980) on the $2.60 forgery -

"Under a magnifying glass the stamp does not hold up well in critical comparison to the genuine. It presents sort of a 'scratchy' appearance, suggestive of an etching. The words 'Graf Zeppelin,' and 'D-LZ 127' on the size of the dirigible are hazy and poorly traced, in fact almost impossible to read. The forward cabin is only faintly outlined and the rear motor is entirely missing. The background on which the two lines of lettering across the top of the stamp are set is made up of cross-hatched horizontal and vertical lines, where the original is of solid coloring. The four frame lines of the stamp are not as bold and sure as in the genuine. The skilled Bureau engravers who executed the original would scoff in derision at the crude efforts to reproduce their handiwork.

"While we had the stamp under examination, Mr. Whitaker suggested that we take a look at it under the ultra-violet ray, and so we tried it. We found that it fluoresced in bright red violet, even to the paper front and back, while the genuine stamp held to a blue, of the blackish tone, and the paper remained creamy white."

Earlier in the column Sloane notes, "It is plate engraved, on copper or steel, likely the latter..."

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  10. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Good information Molokai! Another reason for me to consider buying that UV lamp I have been putting off my entire collecting life.

Draft saved Draft deleted