Ecudorian changeling or unlisted color variety in Scott???

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by DonSellos, Nov 19, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Here is a color variety for Ecuador, Sc. 67, the 1896 20c carmine stamp commemorating the success of the Liberal Party recently acquired. I've scanned my copy of the 20c carmine and the color variety which is a red-brown, almost a maroon color.

My take on the color variety is that it is a changeling. Given the uniformity of the color I am thinking it may have been soaked in a fluid that darkened it. It is, however, an unused stamp and the gum seems to be undisturbed, except for hinge marks. Of course, it could have been regumed, but why bother. This stamp only catalogs a little over a dollar. Also, the whiteness of the paper outside the design area on the variety does not seem to be affected.

Any opinions on what it is and/or what caused the change in color?

Don

The carmine stamp as issued aaa.jpg

The variety

aaa1.jpg

James-2489 and Molokai like this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Don I suspect you are correct about it being a color changeling. The primary ingredient of carmine is cochineal which is water soluble and susceptible to microbial degradation. Because it's organic in nature a change in the ph may affect it. An additive in the color process use to include lime which gave the dye a purple cast.

James-2489, DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

I've seen some of the carmine commemoratives U.S. of the 1930s do something like this - and also the older postage dues...but nothing quite so dramatic as yours.

4. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Don......I have quite a few stamps with different colour variety like this from Ecuador.Back in those days,I don,t think they had heard of the words ..quality control...
    I will ask the club president this weekend if he knows anything about this.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Hochstrasse, Molokai, and Anglobob:

Thanks for the replies. I understand changes to color from exposure to light over a period of time, but that usually also changes the color of the paper too.

If this is a chemically induced changeling, my questions are, how does this happen? What is the process? Can it happen accidentally, or does someone have to set the process in motion and intentionally place the stamp in a solution to alter the color? Would that not change the color of the paper to some extent too, or disturb the gum. How can the color change so uniformly?

Don

6. anglobob

It could also be a forgery..I think there are quite a few dodgy issues from this time period..:bored::bored:

7. DonSellos

Yes, that is a real possibility. Scott's catalog does not warn about forgeries of this issue, however. Maybe it was a trial run forgery with the ink mixture a little off :oops: lol! I have seen a forgery of this issue, but they were poorly printed with the colors correct. It will be interesting to see if your fellow club members have any information about this issue in general.

Thanks.

Don

8. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

I think Hochstrasse is right:
    It´s a chemical reaction,usually,but not scientificly correct,
    called oxidation.
    Similar colour,similar problem from Pakistan:
    AAA.jpg
    issued 1948 and 1949

James-2489, Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  9. DonSellos

Hi Werner:

Yes! The images you provided look very similar to the two I put up. That must be the answer, but, still, how does it happen, accidentally or by intent, and how do the colors change so evenly?

Don

10. anglobob

Don.....according to the president of my club,the salmon coloured one is a forgery.There is more information in the Bertossa catalogue of Ecuadorian stamps.I will find out more on Saturday.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  11. DonSellos

Thanks, Bob. If a forgery, it is nicely done. I measured the perfs and they are as listed in Scott. Looking forward to the info from the catalog.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted