Early U. S Revenue Documents/ Stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by RichardBabcock, Dec 13, 2020.

1. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Active Member

Early U. S documents with Revenue Tax Stamp, Note the early date of use. The stamp release Date according to The Boston Revenue Book 1899 Of the stamp R27a was Oct 23.1862. This Document would have been deemed illegal and a fine or Fifty Dollars should have been collected. The reason was the date on the Document and the Date on the Stamp . The stamp was clearly placed on the document almost a year later. I forgot to add the major over payment, A two cent could have payed the taxes. Although ad another year that would have been 4 cents owed IMG_20201213_0002.jpg IMG_20201213_0001.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Rick 2, BettyBoop and Gunny like this.
  2. RichardBabcock

3. RichardBabcock

IMG_20201213_0004.jpg R1 2 pair plus one paying the 5 cent tax

4. RichardBabcock

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Here's a couple of photographs with revenue stamp on the back.
    DSC00015.JPG

6. Rick 2

Rick 2 New Member

Looks like they used any revenue type....I think I have 4 different types in my collection... o3.jpg o3.jpg

7. RichardBabcock

8. RichardBabcock

9. RichardBabcock

a few more

Attached Files:

10. RichardBabcock

11. RichardBabcock

12. RichardBabcock

13. RichardBabcock

therory4.jpg therory3.jpg Note bought are loans to the same person, and he wrote 2nd for, on the loans, on the vary day he wrote it. For a later extension of loan time if he need it. That's why the APS gave me this. Cert. Its my belief that the Boston Revenue Book should be revised, Some stamps were used on the early dated loans, But the book said that it likely could never happen, That all documents are back dated. The Boston book was written in 1899, We have found and have more connections in the computer age. Most revenue collectors will stick to the outdated book though.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021 at 11:40 PM
    Rick 2 likes this.
  14. Rick 2

Rick 2 New Member

Those are so cool! I have a couple of these also.... 1866londondocstamp.jpg 1866londondocseal.jpg

RichardBabcock likes this.
  15. Rick 2

Rick 2 New Member

I got one indenture so big if unfolded its about 20x20......on lambskin (?)... or whatever the British wrote them on......hard to display...but awesome pieces of history. God bless the poor sods who had to handwrite AND copy the damned things!! (Shades of Bob Cratchet!) Sorry, I cheated....its a Great British Royal Cypher, not US......but it is used to collect revenue on legal documents...!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021 at 12:56 AM
  16. Rick 2

Rick 2 New Member

OK.....here is a couple actual US stamps....in use...and a foreign one at end....LOL Revenues1.jpg Revenue2.jpg Revenue3.jpg

17. Rick 2

Rick 2 New Member

This one looks like its a payroll receipt from Missouri Valley RR to some workers.....2 sides Revenue4.jpg Revenue5rev.jpg

18. Rick 2

Rick 2 New Member

....another.....(my final) Revenue 6.jpg

RichardBabcock likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted