Drums and Drummers on Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

As a kid playing drums was one of my passions along with chess and stamp collecting. I got about as good as possible lacking any real talent. But I was a little OC about it - often practicing a piece 20-30 times after I already had it down. My solo was Downfall of Paris and it kept me in first chair from 8th to 12th grade when I was beaten out my a new kid in school. I promptly quit band and took German instead.

I originally wanted to play the saxophone but we couldn't afford one. My Mom said all we could afford was a practice pad and sticks, so that was that! My aunt eventually bought me a top-of-the-line set.

Still, there were some perks - like being the drummer for the junior high school girls gymnastics team. :rolleyes:

My ATF drummer is Gene Krupa, followed by Joe Morello and then Buddy Rich.

DrumStamp.jpg

KrupaStamp.jpg

Anyone here play an instrument when they were in school?

anglobob likes this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones drummer. Half of the 'Engine Room' along with Keith Richards. Really, quite a fine drummer. There were some excellent drummers in the rock n' roll groups of the 60s and 70s. I'm skeptical of the modern drummers who require a 15-piece kit and a dozen cymbals.

CharlieWattsStamp.jpg

anglobob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted