Down Memory Lane - Stamps Weekly Magazine

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

As a teen in the 1960s I regularly purchased three magazines from the downtown newsstand, Jerry’s. It was always a delight to see a new issue of any of them on display after my Saturday trip to the library – especially Lundquist’s Stamps Weekly with its bright colored cover.

I’ve bought a few dozen loose issues from the 1950s and 1960s and very much enjoyed reading them. Recently I was able to purchase a bound-with-covers 1937 Yearbook in two volumes for the grand sum of $14.00 – both volumes signed, “With the compliments of H.L Lundquist”. What a fascinating and educational read it is! I’ve gone through a few issues and found many interesting items, indeed.

There is an introductory series by Brazer on Essays and Proofs, Copper vs Steel Plates for the US 5 and 10 cent 1847 by Ashbrook, Empire State Express train history of the 2 cent Pan American, news items, tips on hot issues such as the Turkey Aviation Fund stamps, a regular column devoted to fly specking the current issues by Max Johl, etc.

Of course, the awesome ads by dealers of days-gone-by: M.G. Hanna, Nicolas Sanabria, Spencer Anderson, J.M. Bartels, George Sloane, J.C. Morganthau and what must have been very early offerings by Herman Herst. Speak, memory!

StampsWeekly1937.jpg

Today in the mail I received the Ryohei Ishikawa and Honolulu Advertiser catalogs. The adventure continues! I only wish I hadn't stopped my philatelic inquires for so many years.:(

(The other two periodicals were Linn’s and Chess Review.)

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Molokai, you opened up a sense of nostalgia for me. Stamps was one of my favorites.

Harry Lindquist was a near genius as a publisher. The columnists and contributors he hired for Stamps were amazing in their ability to engage readers on a personal level. I retired from a university that had in its library a nearly complete run of Stamps magazine from Vol 1, No. 1 into the mid-1940s. I used to go and read those, mostly over the noon hour. I also would buy those individual older issues when they were offered on eBay and I have a complete run of 1939 Stamps bound in two volumes. I also have quite a few issues of Linns and Philatelic Gossip and a few other titles, all from the 1930s. To me they are as interesting to read today as if I received them in the mail when they were first published 75 or more years ago, maybe more so.

Philatelic publishing, and particularly the magazine genre, was an important aspect of collecting from the 1920s through the mid-1960s. Magazines, while still published, are like the mails in general, not thought of as an essential source of news or information any more. But gosh, I still love those old magazines and can still feel the excitement of reading them when they arrived.

Don

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    H. G. Golightly, Makanudo and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Hi, Don -

Agreed - Lundquist was a brilliant publisher. Stamps was well laid out, and a very 'friendly' read; engaging and informative. I'd love to have more complete years but they seem fairly difficult to find. I was surprised how easily I seemed to connect to events 80 years past...

Is Philatelic Gossip a good read? I've never seen one and a dealer I buy from has a decent run of them for sale. I am trying to save up a bit, curtail buying too much so I can treat myself to Ashbrook's Special Service for Christmas!

I still very much enjoy hard-copy magazines. I tried a Kindle (twice) and thought it a horrid substitute.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    H. G. Golightly and Makanudo like this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Molokai:

The Weekly Philatelic Gossip is not the quality of Stamps, but I enjoy reading it and would recommend buying a few issues if you can find them. If nothing else the WPG is representative of a smaller weekly stamp paper in the 1930s. The issue posted below had 20 pages of text, plus the covers. That is fairly standard for an issue. Seems like the cover art changed only monthly, I'm not sure. Each issue opens with an essay from the editor, in 1938 it was Al Burns, and then there are one or two feature articles followed by multiple news items, some under the heading Philatelic Gossip from Here and There. WPG is more midwestern oriented, but it does contain information about world and national events and world wide stamps and covers. I am a midwesterner and I find it extremely interesting for the ads from midwestern dealers and news of clubs. WPG was owned by the Dworak family of Holton, Kansas, and edited for years by Al Burns and then Harry Weiss. Burns left the Gossip to edit Western Stamp Collecto, another great weekly.

Besides stamp dealers' covers, I also buy covers from the publications and their editors when I find them. Below is one from the Weekly Philatelic Gossip. To me, it is amazing that a small town like Holton, Kansas, would be the site of a long running stamp collecting periodical. Things were definitely different by then.

Don
    philatelic gossip.jpg philatelic gossip 20001.jpg philatelic gossip cpver.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    H. G. Golightly likes this.
  5. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

I sincerely enjoyed reading all the above and can't help but wish for those
    earlier days when the hobby was at its' height in popularity and there were
    a multitude of publications covering just about all the facets of stamp Collecting.
    I've just about worn out my hardback copy of Herman Herst Jr.'s "Nassau Street" having read it now 6 times...and working on a 7th!
    For those few of you who have not read this book, you have something to which look forward.
    Regards,
    Harry

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted