Does anyone use software to keep track of inventory?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by goon712, Sep 25, 2012.

1. goon712

goon712 New Member

I was looking into getting some software to keep track of my stamp and coin collection. Does anyone use it and what is the best one? I have seen a couple and am investigating more.

Thanks in advance.

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Well, I'm testing out some right now that would be able to plug into the next version of the software we're running on StampExchange.com. Might not be till the end of the year, but it looks good so far.

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Moderator Moderator

I tried one of the coin ones some time ago but couldnt get it to work so gave up LOL

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

A number of years back I tried the Scott inventory program for US stamps. I wasn't really impressed by the limitations. I have been using Microsoft Excel for over 20 years and found it to be the best way to keep track of my collection. It's not for everyone, but it allows me completely control the information, the financial aspects and the layout.

SATX Collector and Peter T Davis like this.
  5. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Personally, I've also found the Excel format to be more useful than the Scott software package. I use it to track values of my Canada collection (so far) based on whether they're mint or used.

I also generated a 'by country' listing of my foreign album volumes in Word, but am going to transfer that to Excel and then start adding up my stamp #'s by country. That way I can get an idea of what I have by country, by volume, and total. Keeping track of that info has been tedious, and I've not done a proper accounting in over 40 years.

Peter T Davis likes this.
  6. Don

Don New Member

One of the joys of collecting stamps (for me) is the toal independence of the net or electrical age. I like the old way of cataloguing.

7. Larry L. Taylor

If you can contain everything in a couple of binders of stock sheets, or a single country album, then yeah - I'd agree that 'cataloging' would work just fine.

But try keeping track of a 90 year span of US plate blocks in eight albums, and both US mint & used (from 1850's to date) in separate album volumes, and 75,000+ worldwide in 28 albums, and a 3-volume Canadian collection, and some 800+ sheets of US. Yup, I know, I've overburdened myself and it's my fault. No, actually it's George Bush's fault.

8. Don

Don New Member

A note book would seem to be in order [chuckling].

9. Larry L. Taylor

But if I do the accounting in a spreadsheet, then I don't have to stoke up the printing calculator every couple of years (my computer's always on). HEhehehe !

10. domaintalk

domaintalk Member

I have used several software's like EzStamp, Amos Advantage, Stanleys My Collection and several more but all of them totally suck and are very complicated rather.

I have been lately keeping a update of my inventory through a excel file and trust me it works like a gem. I find it easier and the best way to keep track of the inventory.

Here is how you do it: http://www.stampcollectingblog.com/keeping-track-of-stamp-collection.php

:)

11. Larry L. Taylor

The other advantage of using Excel to track your collection (stamps or coins) is that you can take pictures of the high-value items, and paste them to cells within the spreadsheet.

SATX Collector likes this.
  12. domaintalk

domaintalk Member

Definetly yes! I agree on that. You can make a full table like with me, I have created fields like Recently Bought, Most Valuable and I have made every stamp have a different column depending on their year.

13. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

I found a link for a software program, so I"m posting it here.

I have no experience with this program, I am not endorsing it. I"m interesting in thoughts about this and other options
    http://www.ezstamp.com/

14. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I have tried many online and electronic ideas over the years including EZStamp, and SG My Catalog and also fouund they are not what i am looking for so using excel i designed my own

although quite complex in the setup of the files, i am a bit of a wizz on spread sheets, so the ones i have completed so far only need me to enter a quantity and condition of the stamp and the sheet does everything else for me, like wish lists, country, era or collection value at the click of a button.

this works well for me i just have a lot more countrys to set up though lol

i use scott cat # for every country and if the just went 1,2,3 it would be a lot simpler but you also have the a,A, b, B etc that differ for each country, but once i have that counrty completed there is no going back as i also have programmed into it a value change by % that i can adjust every couple of years and it updates the whole sheet with one click.

15. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Hello Steve...

Reviewing old posts... you must have some sort of macros entry system set up. I have an Excel spreadsheet set up with my US collection but need to start doing the WW collections I have and don't look forward to setting up individual tabs with Scott number entries but don't see any other way to do it manually. Any thoughts you can share on how you did yours?

16. I to have tried several programs. Had one for my Australia collection but went back to Excel spreadsheet. Much more simpler and I think I know what I am doing when I enter something. Sometimes in the Australia program I would enter an item and when I pressed enter it disappeared and would show up later in some other area of the program.

17. Barry

Barry Member

I use Excel spreadsheets as well for several reasons.

First and foremost, it's fast to enter information. I don't want to have to click between multiple fields when I've just bought a bunch of stamps at a show.

Second, it's flexible. I can arrange the information anyway I want. A couple of years back I decided to add Stanley Gibbons numbers to my formerly Scott only checklist of UK stamps. Easy to do with Excel (although a bit time consuming), nearly impossible with most of the specialized stamp software.

Third -- it doesn't cost me anything extra. I already have Excel for a bunch of other things, so I didn't need to buy any new software--I can use that money for stamps instead.

Finally, it's available on multiple platforms. I can use it on my Mac, on my work PC when I used to commute by train, on my tablet or even on my phone (if I squint really hard). The biggest downside to using Excel? It doesn't have nice pictures built in and I have to enter catalog values myself. Overall, it still comes out on top for me. (Cited from:

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  18. SATX Collector

To add to the above: with a flashdrive, you can use your spreadsheet everywhere Excel resides... can't do that with a lot of custom SW.

As for the pictures: eBay, BidStart, etc usually has exact pictures of the stamps you buy (I for one, usually don't buy unless I see it first)... I right-click on the picture (or copy the link), save it to a directory, then put it in a spreadsheet with a link if I want to keep track.

19. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

I recently switched over to Open Office and the spreadsheet that comes with it. It's a free program and opens and saves Excel files or saves them in their ".ods" format. Works just like Microsoft Office.

20. SATX Collector

I installed that on my wife's new computer... didn't want to pay the cost of a new MS license knowing that they are changing it again. My work computers (and 2 older ones I have at home) all use various versions... good enough for the stamp inventories...:D

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted