Does anyone know what this stamp is from 1882 ?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Jamie, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Jamie

Jamie New Member

hello guys, I’m looking for some help to see if anyone knows what this stamp is please ? I can’t locate it anywhere, it’s from around 1882

Attached Files:

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

I've not seen one like it, but it doesn't look like a postage stamp. Maybe a personalized seal or or "play" stamps from a post office set for children. What is the second image on, a letter or cover? May we see it in its entirety?

Don

Werner Salentin and Hochstrasse like this.
  3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Don that it is likely a label or Cinderella. The lack of a denomination or familiar feature from the many country identifier lists would lead me to believe that.

4. Richard Barnes

Richard Barnes New Member

This is a stamp used to train GB postal employees. Not being a GB collector I cannot put my hand on the reference so this is from memory.

DonSellos likes this.
  5. BremhillBob

BremhillBob New Member

Hi Jamie
    Don is on the right lines, it is a revenue cypher seal from the Victorian era. Quite collectable in it's own right but nothing to do with 'postage'.
    Legal documents have to be paid for and that payment is taxed. From the time of William (of Orange) legal paperwork has needed to be 'stamped' to show that the tax (duty) had been paid. This 'stamp' took many forms one of which was a label that was fixed to the document with a silver staple. These 'revenue' stamps are a fascinating area of collecting. Where the silver staple comes through the paper (on the back) is covered with the 'seal' - and this is what you have
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted