Do Some Colors Fade Less Than Others?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

While building my Chile collection, I came across these two stamps. They are both Scott # 91's. The color listed in Scott is "Ultra", which I assume is the first stamp shown. The second stamp is also a Scott #91 but with a drastically different color. It is no longer "Ultra" blue, but a very light blue. There is still some remnants of Ultra blue in the letters and numbers though. My first thought is that it is just faded, but the black ink in the center of the stamp looks like the original so maybe hasn't faded much. Do different colors, like blue, fade faster than other colors? Because the colors are different (blue vs black), I'm assuming the chemical makeup of the colors is different as well. The only other option I can think of is that the printer was maybe running out of blue ink for the second stamp? What do you think?

0091.jpg 0091 1.jpg

BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I'm no expert on colors, but I'd call the second example faded. A constant color variety on a stamp that old (1910) would surely have been recognized and mentioned in catalogs 110 years after issuance.

Orange stamps tend to turn brownish from oxidation and red inks are susceptible to fading also. But as I have said in other posts, color identification is a weak suit for me. So much so that I am reluctant to pay a premium for a genuine color variety.

I do like that Chilean Independence series. Attractive stamps, all of them.

Don

Gunny likes this.
  3. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Active Member

Gunny are you sure there wasn't a blue and a grey blue issued, The lower stamp has a greyish looking paper, While the other has white paper. Soaking them affects die some time and sunlight but your black and the cancel have no fading. It does have ionization, Some times that will effect a certain die on a stamp. Scott doesn't list everything all the time. Dose it list different types of paper in Scott. I use a 1976 Scott so Well its missing a lot lol

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  4. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Scott doesn't list any color or paper varieties. I also checked to see if there were any reprints of this design. There weren't.

5. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

It looks like that the second stamp is a changeling.
    Could be exposition to sunlight or some chemical reaction.
    And yes,some colours are more suspectible to to changing or fading
    than others.Good catalogues will note,when stamps are very senistive.
    Some of early Britain´s (1883-1912) issues f.i.

Gunny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted