Curses eBay

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Larry L. Taylor, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Philactica and Tom D like this.
  2. West

West New Member

......erm, what are they?

3. Larry L. Taylor

They're know as the Farley special printing of the US National Park series. Franklin D. Roosevelt was himself a stamp collector, and thru some chicanery, he 'convinced' the postmaster to make a special run printing of the 'parks' without perfs or gum for a few of President Roosevelt's close personal friends. When the philatelic community heard about this special printing (of which there might have only been less than 100 sheets printed in this format), the postmaster had to relent and they made a special printing, but for which they were only made available for maybe 3 months. The imperf plate block set MNH (mint, never hinged) catalogs for something around $300. I only just today received the last of the set that I had bid on piece meal auctions on eBay over the last two months.

Philactica likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Here are a few of mine. I have a lot more and will scan if time allows and there is interest. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

century of progress mini sheet
    [​IMG]

Fort Dearborn minisheet
    [​IMG]

Tom D and Philactica like this.
  6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tom D likes this.
  10. West

West New Member

What is a gutter block?

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Hi West! A "gutter block" is simply a block of four (or more) stamps cut at the point on the full sheet where the 4 panes come together. When they print stamps they usually (or used to) print at least 4 panes of 100 (or multiple thereof) stamps on one large sheet of special stamp paper and then they are cut into the 4 or more panes, then cut to specifications to be perforated.
    A "Gutter" is is just that- a wide margin that connects 2 or more panes.​
    this is an example of a gutter block-
    [​IMG]
    perforated Gutter block
    [​IMG]
    Gutter pair
    [​IMG]

Tom D likes this.
  12. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Wow Jay!!!! What a collection.... Looks AWESOME!!!!!!

Jay likes this.
  13. West

West New Member

How wide does it have to be then, because the stamps near the top of this conversation are not so widely spaced?
    Can you have gutter blocks of stamps that have the holes, or do they have to be cut by scissors.
    Did George V stamps come in gutter blocks?
    How will I put gutter blocks in my stock book?

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

OK lets back up a moment because this can be a bit confusing. Normally one would not come across a gutter block in the normal course of stamp collecting- somebody correct me if I am wrong here- Post master James A. Farley was making valuable collectables to gift friends and family and purposely cut them that way. but once in a blue moon a sheet will get into the shears wrong and will be cut that way but it's extremely rare. However there was enough of these to be able to acquire. The pictures I showed in the explanation post just above kacyds post are what the look like. The rest are just plate numbered margin blocks that was cut correctly. I hope this helps some.

15. Larry L. Taylor

Here's an example of how gutter blocks (or pairs) are generated. Sorry I couldn't provide better resolution (well, I could but then I wouldn't be able to upload it).

View attachment 1962

16. Larry L. Taylor

Don't confuse gutter blocks with plate blocks. Plate blocks come from the edge of individual sheets, and depending on how they're printed, the margin or selvege varies in width. At least with US stamps, there used to be one plate # per sheet of 50 (commemoratives) or 100 (definitives). So that used to make them fairly valuable as collector items. The US has transitioned to sheetlets (20 or 25 stamps) and puts a plate number in each corner of each sheetlet to multiply 'collectibility', but that makes plate # blocks more common / less valuable to collect.

I've never seen plate numbers on Br. Colonial stamps, but I have seen 'inscription blocks' (or singles), where the printer information is included in the outer margin of the sheets. I guess those can be more valuable. Gutter blocks are a specialized affectation associated with US stamps, and the Farley issues during the 1932-1935 time period in particular.

If you find gutter blocks from any country, you'll just have to obtain stock sheets with wider (and thereby fewer) sleeves.

17. West

West New Member

Thank you, I think ha ha ha.
    I think I will just stick to stamps, with the holes punched in.
    This gutter thing just likes another reason to sell to collectors, as there does not seem to be any gutters stuck on envelopes.

18. David Logan

David Logan Member

H i west

If your lucky you can still the odd gutter on envolopes, you tend to find them when letters or packets are sent to another country. If you have a look on ebay i am sure you would find some.

19. West

West New Member

As this is all so confusing, I am only going to save new stamps and not bother with second hand at all.

20. David Logan

David Logan Member

If your after some G.B stamps let me know and i can send you some. Am just starting to sort a load out. To be honest half the time you will find it's cheaper to purchase used stamps, as you are not paying the face value as you would do with new stamps.

kacyds likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted