Cover of the day

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, May 17, 2016.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I haven't been able to find out what the Cheerio Fireside Service offered in the way of services, but the company must have thought the cachet was good advertising and had its name and address printed on the envelope. This envelope and cachet is one of Jacques Minkus' WW II patriotics. His initials are at the lower right corner of the cachet. No info on the addressee either. Nice clear slogan cancel.

Don

b190.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Interesting. I found this:

https://books.google.com/books?id=J...FAQ6AEwDXoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=bayside&f=false

bayside.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  3. DonSellos

Wow, 100 envelopes for $1.00. Looks like Cheerio Fireside was in the stamp business to some extent. The ad must have been for unused envelopes. Since the ad was dated September 1944, the market for patriotic covers must have been dropping off. If the offer was for 100 postally used covers, that was an even greater bargain.

Thanks for the post Molokai.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  4. DonSellos

I acquired this philatelic cover solely for the unusual placement of the stamps. Would the frame on this cover be considered a "stamp collar?" I don't have any other covers with stamp collars, but the ones I have seen were only large enough for one stamp. The frame is hand drawn and painted with an enamel or lacquer. The stamps are on a piece of buff card stock. Unusual presentation.

Any comments welcome.

Don

b194.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  5. Molokai

I am not sure why I purchased this cover...'devil made me do it' perhaps a senior moment - or both.

Anyway, some information on the sender.

SDChellmuth.jpg

SDChellmuth2.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  6. Molokai

Unique! I wonder what would happen if I mailed something and wrote 'Philatelic Cancellation Appreciated' on it.:joyful:

DonSellos likes this.
  7. DonSellos

The franking looks very contemporary (Aug 10, 1893?). The image is fuzzy, so I can't see what die the U348 is. What are you doing, pasting camera photo images into the post? The images would show better if they were scanned and you used the upload feature.

Check the U.S. specialized to see what die the envelope is. Which ever, it is a neat commercial usage of contemporary commemoratives.

Don

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. Molokai

There is something wrong with the tool I use to capture the image after scanning. I haven't figured it out as yet; hopefully this weekend.

9. DonSellos

Here is a 1948 cover out of the shoe box collection from the California Collectors Club sending a copy of the club's Bulletin to a collector. The addressee is in both the 1935 and 1938 Blue Book of Philately, but he was living in Seattle, Washington in those years. This cover is scheduled for write-up and placement in my Philatelic Publications cover collection.

Don

b201.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  10. Molokai

Very nice! You do have good taste in covers <MRSTAMP>!

DonSellos likes this.
  11. DonSellos

Thanks, Molokai.

Don

12. DonSellos

Here is a recent acquisition for my Prison Philately collection. The Sing Sing Philatelic Association sponsored this cover to honor the Sing Sing warden, Lewis Lawes and his humanitarian work as a penologist. It is franked with a cut-out from the lower right corner of the 1934 souvenir sheet commemorating Adm. Richard E. Byrd's 1933 expedition to Antarctica. The cover came with an insert of Lawes' photo and a brief bio of his career accomplishments.

As an aside, I happened to follow a couple of internet links about Byrd and learned of a little weirdness about him. Seems he made a last visit to Antarctica in 1947 and reported on his visit to the mythical city of Agartha where an ancient civilization supposedly lives. Strange stuff from an intrepid explorer. I'm not sure I'll follow up on it, but it does sound interesting.

Don

b211.jpg b212.jpg b213.jpg

Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  13. Molokai

My freshman college roommate, Scott, and I sent in a joke just about the same time - almost certainly June of 1968! We already had the $50 prize spent when we saw the joke published a couple issues later. Alas, someone must have scooped us as we never saw the $50.00.

At least our submission was properly franked. And, no, I do not remember the joke. I’m sure it was funny to two college freshmen. :happy: ‘Speak, memory.”

(I wonder if Playboy paid the six-cents?)

SCplsyboy.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  14. DonSellos

@Molokai:

That's a neat cinderella on cover! It is also the second Playboy cover I have seen today. The one below appeared in my eBay Watch List for today. No, I don't have Playboy as a saved search! It came up because it was a Herst cover.

[​IMG]

Wasn't the addressee the editor of Linns for quite awhile? It is a Buy It Now item for 8.72. Tempting!

Don

Molokai likes this.
  15. Molokai

Tempting but maybe too far afield for me. I have several SO Herst covers...

If it is the same Michael Lawrence...I wonder what he was doing at the Playboy mansion, if so?:rolleyes: I can think of a couple lines but will abide...

DonSellos likes this.
  16. DonSellos

I bought this kind of ratty cover for my collection of philatelic publication covers, W. W. Betts' Postage Stamps, only to find that I already has one of Betts' covers, and one in better condition with more collecting points for me. Nevertheless, I'm posting this one as an example of Betts' marketing method of using a first-day cover to advertise his journal. I don't have, and have never seen a copy of his Postage Stamps, but I'm thinking that it was a house organ/newsletter type publication with special philatelic offerings. There is a Shafter, TX, receiving stamp on the reverse, but it is odd that there is no forwarding auxiliary marking on the front. Today, Shafter, on U.S. Highway 67 northwest of Big Bend National Park, is a ghost town with the last population count of 11 souls in 2000. That area of Texas is still real isolation country.

Don

b242.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  17. Molokai

Interesting. 'Ratty' is the 'Patina' of stamp covers <DON>.

18. DonSellos

Well, sort of, maybe, some times, but always when it comes time to sell. :rolleyes:

Don

Molokai likes this.
  19. Molokai

I don't have enough experience in stamps, but in chess books there seems often to be a 20% 'because it is mine' premium.

DonSellos likes this.
  20. DonSellos

Here is a philatelic publication from a club -- The Straight Edge, Official Journal of the Roosevelt Philatelic Society of Chicago. It is obvious that either the Journal's editor sent himself a cover canceled at the third World-Wide Philatelic Convention in St. Louis, MO, in 1941, or he did a club mailing of the Journal from the convention and this was his copy. Nice clear cancel. There is also an International Philatelic Week advance label on the reverse. Philatelic Week was to be celebrated November 9 to the 15th, 1941 according to the label. Club and society publications may be a stretch for being a philatelic publication in the same sense as Stamps Magazine, Linns, or Western Stamp Collector, but I am including these covers in my Philatelic Publications Covers collection. As an aside, this third World-Wide Philatelic Convention apparently was the last one held. I have not seen or read of a fourth. It apparently did not survive WW II or it merged with another show. The first one was in Tulsa, OK, in 1939, the second in Detroit, MI, in 1940 and this one in St. Louis.

Don

b247.jpg b248.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted