Cover of the day

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, May 17, 2016.

1. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Very nice. My wife has found a couple of beginner albums at garage sales but never anything really worthwhile...I don't tell her that, of course. Sarawak...one of the first books I purchased after getting back in the game around five years ago was on Sarawak. Lordy knows why I bought it...I guess it satisfied the Venn diagram Book + Stamps. (I can't make the upside-down 'U' for 'intersection') :bucktooth:

DonSellos likes this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

I purchased this homemade post card for its tied-to-cover Molly Pitcher poster stamp. It will also fit into my Iowa-related covers. I have never heard of Molly Pitcher Day before and I haven't been able to find any information about it dating back to the WW II era. There is a Molly Pitcher Day celebrated at Ft. Bragg, NC, but I doubt that it dates from the 1940s. The cover is appropriately franked with the 1928 Molly Pitcher commemorative overprint, Sc. 646. There is a typed message on the reverse that reads "Molly Pitcher Day Greetings from Fairfield, Iowa" and signed "Molly."

I'd bet the cost (not much) of this item that it was prepared by one Fred Spielman, a Fairfield, Iowa, stamp dealer and sent to a friend or customer. My Spielman stamp dealer cover has gone missing, along with info re: the addressee's family. I seem to remember, though, that the Peeblers owned a retail bakery in Fairfield and someone in the family collected stamps. A check of the Iowa state census for 1940 listed a Richard G. Peebler as thirteen years old in 1943. He may have been a collector.

Whatever the circumstances, this is another item for my Cinderellas on Cover collection.

Don

aaa2a.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Philatelic research at its finest! Cute cover, great story. Grazie.

4. DonSellos

Digging deep into the shoe box I found this long forgotten cover. I don't remember where or when I bought it, but I'm sure I bought for its unusual attributes, i.e. the red star, the "We do our part" slogan printed on the envelope, the Polonus Philatelic Society cinderella affixed, and despite its unattractiveness, the hand written date in the mute cancel.

Wikipedia tells me that Gwiazda is Polish for star and that it was the title of a Polish language newspaper in Philadelphia published from 1902 to 1985. That accounts for the star pasted on the cover. This cover probably carried a news release about the society's exhibition in Chicago.

Maybe now that I have it out of the shoe box I can get it written up and into my Cinderellas on Covers collection.

Don

20190224_103402-scfopt-1.jpg

5. Molokai

The group is still in business! I corresponded with them about a year ago. I saw a N & P cite referencing their society, I was sure it was incorrect - it was - but they were nice enough to provide a prompt reply.

BTW <MrStamp> How deep is 'deep?' You're always pulling something out, seems. And, don't forget to rent a rail car so I can see all your albums in Omaha this summer!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  6. DonSellos

Molokai:

I checked out the Polonus Philatelic Society website. Interesting group and I found out a couple of additional things. 1. The cinderella on my cover is actually a pre-event advertising label. The event souvenir sheet is the center stamp-like image on the pre-event label. 2. The society still has and sells its early SS. Unfortunately, they are sold out of the one for 1942. However, they do have a sheet from a 1944 event that I have to have for my aviation cinderellas. I don't know if the image appears below or not??

If you want to see my albums, you'll have to come to Okielandia. :)

Don

View attachment 10689

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Makanudo likes this.
  7. Molokai

I'll check out the stage coach schedule.

DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  8. DonSellos

Here is a recent acquisition for my Iowa Covers collection. While the cancel on this cover is mute, the bridge was opened to traffic in 1943. It is on U.S. Highway 20, crosses the Mississippi River, and connects Dubuque, Iowa, with East Dubuque, Illinois. It was originally a toll bridge, but traffic on it was so heavy the bonds sold to build it were paid off eleven years early. The bridge and city are named after Julien Dubuque a French explorer from Quebec who settled in the area in the late 18th century. The tower in the cachet is the Julien Dubuque Monument marking his grave site.

Don

20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg

A contemporary view of the bridge
    [​IMG]

anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  9. DonSellos

This cover carried a purchase from an eBay dealer. Normally, covers from eBay sellers are pretty mundane, frequently franked with current definitives or a few newer commemoratives. I usually clip what collectable stamps are on them and toss the envelope. I have decided to keep this one, however, for its plethora of handstamp markings, front and back, and for its clearly struck postmarks. The reverse even has an embossed seal of the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club.

Don

20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg aaa1-scfopt (2).jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted