Cover of the day

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, May 17, 2016.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Recently, I have turned from mounting stamps to writing up some covers. Below is one that I purchased on eBay and is headed for my Stamp Clubs and Societies Collection. The cover is somewhat ratty, but I purchased it because of the ephemeral items that came with it and for the time period it represents.

The cover is representative of the last decade of radio as an information and entertainment source. It also represents our government's efforts to reach out to other cultures, and in this instance, using stamp collecting as a vehicle of appeal. I suspect the Voice of America is still broadcasting, but I would be surprised if it includes stamp collecting in its programing.

I also collected the cover for its prominent and bold cachet along with the correct franking for international surface mail and the clearly struck postmark. The accompanying letter and the membership card are icing for the cake. I'm not sure it is visible in the scan, but the pictorial background of the membership card is modeled on an airmail stamp showing the Statue of Liberty and the New York City skyline.

All in all, a welcome addition to my cover collection.

Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  2. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead

Great stuff. That cover, and it's contents, made it from the U.S. all the way over to New Zealand. And then, it has found it's way back here to the U.S.

I had never heard of the VOA Stamp Club. I have indeed listened to the VOA many times. There were many times while stationed on Navy ships, in the middle of the ocean, I would tune in to VOA just to hear to English language radio. This was in the HF radio band so the quality wasn't good, but it was good enough.

There's a link here that has a paragraph about the VOA Stamp Club. You'll see it on the second page.

James-2489 and DonSellos like this.
  3. DonSellos

Gunny:

Thanks for the link. It provided an explanation of the "question" mentioned in the letter that came with the cover. I searched the internet for some time looking for a reference to the VOA Stamp Club and found nothing. I noticed that the publication in the link was dated November 1950, so the stamp club had already been operating for nearly two years. I wonder how long it ran?

Don

4. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Don, I found this link that I think is quite interesting.
    http://www.ontheshortwaves.com/VOA_Stamp.html

[​IMG]
    Regards, James.

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

James:

Lots of nice cachets in that link you provided. It makes a body want to collect FDCs!

Where did you find the image of the VOC Stamp Club cover you posted? I note it also is to a New Zealand collector and posted just a week before mine. It is also in much better condition than the one I found. There must be others out there, but this one, and the one I purchased, are the only ones I have seen in nearly 20 years of looking at covers on eBay.

Thanks for your post.

Don

6. DonSellos

Pretty bad to quote one's own post, but on closer examination of the background image of the membership card I note that it is, indeed, the design of the 15c stamp of the 1947 U.S. airmail set issued for the airmail rates to South America, Europe, and the Pacific area. In this instance it is Sc. C35 that is reproduced on the card. I thought I had seen that scene before.

Don

7. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Don, that cover is in the link that I posted. Membersip card there too.

New Additions - Jan. 8, 2003
    Regards, James

SATX Collector likes this.
  8. DonSellos

Thanks, again, James. I missed the cover and card the first time, but your last post made them easy to find.

I notice that the membership card that I purchased has the FDR quote peeled off the reverse. I noticed another interesting connection with this stamp club. The president's signature on the card is that of Howard Hotchner, who I am reasonably certain was John Hotchner's father. If I remember correctly, Howard was a career employee for the State Department and John currently writes the USA column for LINNS.

Don

James-2489 likes this.
  9. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I just love the design of the cover.
    History links are amazing!

10. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Great to know about that stamp club and classic cover. :)

11. DonSellos

While rummaging through some of my unmounted covers I found this National Air Mail Week cover addressed to Betty Crocker, the iconic fictional cook and baker of General Mills company of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Betty was created by the company's public relations department to answer cooking, baking, and recipe questions the company received. The cover was neatly opened at top, so it apparently carried a message of some kind.

I don't remember when or where I bought this cover, but it will eventually end up in my small collection of association covers instead of Air Mail Events.

Don
    aaa.jpg

Makanudo likes this.
  12. DonSellos

Below are two covers with some similarities, but obvious differences. The one on the left I purchased a few years ago. The one on the right is a recent acquisition and I purchased it as a "companion" piece to the other.

Airlines, in their early years, and probably down to the 1960s or 1970s, used to provide stationery to their customers that carried company logos and the names of the company. It was a service and a good method of advertising their companies. These two covers are from the now defunct Pan American Airways that used to be the leader in flights between the U.S. and Latin America.

For me, these covers are collectible for the cachet-like art work in the lower left corners. Being a collector of aircraft on stamps and covers, I also bought them because the art contains recognizable drawings of aircraft used by the company. I found the second acquisition, the cover on the right, also collectible and interesting for the changes in art work of the cachet.

The first cover, mailed in Chicago in 1936, shows a Sikorsky S-42 airplane being boarded with a smartly dressed steward pointing the way and a caricature of an overloaded bellhop carrying passengers' luggage.

The second cover, posted nearly six years later in Recife, Brazil, in 1942, has an recognizable image of a Boeing S-307 Stratoliner, which entered airline service ca. 1939. It was the first civil airliner to have a pressurized cabin and an additional crew member, the flight engineer.

Changing the art work to reflect the updating of aircraft is not unusual, but the other changes in the cachet I found culturally interesting. The smartly dressed figure standing at attention in the second cover looks more professional and more "pilot-like," than steward-like while the bellhop figure has a much lighter load and is, shall we say, less racist in presentation. Finally, the larger number of people boarding is in scale with the capacity of the airplane.

All-in-all, for me, an interesting contrast between the two covers. I intend to mount them in sequence in my cover album and watch for yet another cover dating from the 1950s or later.

Don
    aaa.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted