Couple of Interesting Finds

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Gunny, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Recently bought an accumulation of stamps and am slowly going through them. I came across these two today.

First up is a 2 Cent coil stamp from 1925 (Scott 606). Nothing remarkable about the front of the stamp, but there is a very clear mirror image on the reverse. Haven't seen anything like it. What do you think could have caused this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, is an "Officially Sealed" stamp from the Post Office Department signed in blue ink. Because of the blue ink, I don't think that it is very old. What do you think that it was used to "seal"?

[​IMG]

Makanudo, James-2489 and Molokai like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Fascinating! That's the best fun - going through a lot or accumulation! I hope someone knows on the Washington.

Makanudo likes this.
  3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Maybe not TOO recent...

http://www.poseal.com/usa06.html

Have no clue on the 2c... interesting though. Looks almost stained/scorched on the front as well...

Will watch for an answer...

4. Gunny

Wow thanks. For some reason, I was thinking that blue ink used for writing came about in the 50's.

5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

6. Gunny

Makanudo likes this.
  7. Gunny

Here's another interesting find that I haven't seen before. It's a cinderella block of four for a charity in Michigan. The Starr Foundation is still around helping children. Their website http://www.starr.org/about

[​IMG]

8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Gunny I'm going to venture a guess on the image on the reverse. Rather than scorching I'm guessing it is due to a reaction of the pigment to the paper. Perhaps the ink is somewhat acidic and over time, similar to the foxing of paper, the ink has affected the paper with a bleed-through image. Maybe it is simply paper foxing? Many stamps of that era had ghost images on the backs because of stacking when the ink was wet. This stamp back mirrors the front.

Makanudo and Gunny like this.
  9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Like that design. Good way of making more people aware of the foundation. :)

10. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

Very cool finds. I'm not sure what would cause the mirror image. That's interesting.

11. Gunny

Very possible. I'm also wondering if using a steam iron in an attempt to remove the stamp from the cover, and thereby applying too much heat, might have also caused it.

SATX Collector likes this.
  12. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

You may be right Gunny. Looking at the stamp with some magnification would be a good idea, perhaps 30X or so. That would better tell you if it was foxing or scorching. Perhaps an impatient collector without a drying book wanted to short cut the drying process after soaking a stamp off a cover. I hadn't even considered that at first.

13. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I have a lot of the Boys Town and VFW Seals but not any of these (that I can recall). Albion is pretty close to where some friends of mine live in Jackson, Michigan and we've been through there before... I'll start looking for some of these.

14. AtanasVelikov

AtanasVelikov Member

Wow that is interesting stuff. Is there a certain meaning when a stamp has a reversal image on it? I have noticed a few of mine have that. Would it increase the value of the stamp or are there many factors that would do that?

15. Gunny

It would only be valuable if the stamp was actually printed on both sides. This is extremely rare, at least on U.S. stamps.

16. Gunny

A couple of interesting cinderella stamps from this latest lot that I bought. These are all related to The Omaha Home for Boys. They are still in existence and have a website here... http://omahahomeforboys.org/ . These are similar to the Boys of the Starr Commonwealth cinderella's posted above. Just thought they were neat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DonSellos likes this.
  17. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I used to live in Omaha. Started collecting stamps while living there. Great city, but cold in the winter! The Omaha Home for Boys regularly sends me solicitations for money, but I have not ever received any cinderellas. Maybe the home has stopped doing those. Too bad, I like cinderellas. Seems like their approach now is news about achievements of the home with the hope that an item will spark an interest in a prospective donor.

Don

Gunny likes this.
  18. Gunny

Found another one with a "burned back". Still not sure what is going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted