Cool Postal card I found with interesting subject matter

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

You heard of the Kensington Rune-stone right? (I watch the History channel frequently) Well I see this postal card on an auction site for really really cheap so I snapped it up if only for the subject matter. Please excuse the images as they are very poor but it is old. That's why I enjoy it so. I'm excited to get it in my box! Now this isn't about the Kensington Rune-stone but one found in Mass. Weather it's authentic or not I couldn't tell you but it came out about the same time.
    Obverse:
    [​IMG]

Reverse:
    [​IMG]

Philactica likes this.
  2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Lovely card and another of my obsessions LOL (Sorry I meant Hobby)

Philactica likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

My money is on the 20th Century Portugese interpretation. I myself have seen such markers the Portugese Maritime Discoverers used. It was the 'Golden Age' of 'Dutch and Portugese Discovers as Carl Sagan once remarked (comparing discoveries in Space in our Time)

Each discovery ship had a pile of premade Wooden Markers. These they would plant along the Coast at such intervals where they went ashore.

The reason why the engravings were made on rock may be in the sinple reason they wanted to settler there permantly or make permanent Base.
    It would have taken some time to chisel the markings and probably had lots, rior getting wiped out by Indians or disease.
    Going north past Rhode Island through the straights 10 Mile north of Fall River would look to me like a good place to settle even 500 years ago.

The kicker would be if any wooden Cross-Markers were ever found on the Coast 500 Miles up or down the Coast.

Amazing what a tatty postcard can cause, thank you for sharing.:cool:

5. Steve Robinson

Thats quite thought provoking

6. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Never heard or seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

7. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

Well now that I've read the story and enjoyed it ... I guess I'm going to have to find the postcard;) Thanks Jay!

8. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Here is a picture postcard of a replica marker in Luderitz Namibia that was errected by Diaz on his travels down the West Coast of Africa.The original marker long gone if I remember correctly was 'n couple of meters from the replica cross.

View attachment 1561

9. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Here is the SWA 1d value of 1931 set which clearly shows the planted Cross. Of course the design of the stamp is symbolic, who would to plant a Cross on the beach !?
    View attachment 1572

Sam B likes this.
  10. Steve Robinson

I do like those Erich

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Here is that post card we was discussing. I got it recently and scanned it last evening for your viewing pleasure-

Obverse:
    [​IMG]

Reverse:
    [​IMG]

12. Steve Robinson

It is very strange :cool:

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

More curious than strange I believe. Fascinating stuff!

14. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I believe Philactica explained what this post card and markings were all about further up this thread?

Steve

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yep and it was quite intriguing too!

Draft saved Draft deleted