Continental Vertically-Ribbed Paper

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Molokai, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Banknote questions for an expert, please:

Is this an actual paper stock - or is it the result of something to do with the press and the way the paper was used? I have heard it both ways.

- Is there an inexpensive stamp with the Continental vertically-ribbed paper one could obtain for reference? I am aware it is extremely difficult to photograph or scan.

- It appears the paper was only used between (apx.) May and December of 1873. Is this correct?

- Were plates made with a Secret Mark for the 24-cent Scott? I've heard both 'yes' and 'no' - although if 'yes' they were obviously never used.

I've done quite a bit of research on the large Banknote 24-cent Scott - and I still find it amazing there is only a single copy known of #164. I believe it last changed hands via a Siegel auction for $325,000.00.

http://www.siegelauctions.com/dynam...le_no=888&sale_date=Tuesday, December 7, 2004

Thank You!

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

I am by no means any expert. We have a user on this forum who also contributes to StampCommunity.org called littleriverphil. Haven't seen him for a while but here is a link to this forum and the other you might find useful as well as a PDF on paper types.
    https://www.stampexchange.com/threa...1875-special-printing-stamps.3746/#post-30119
    http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38977&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=ribbed paper
    http://www.stampexpertizing.com/pdfs/papers and watermarks_ver1.0.pdf

The cheapest example of a ribber paper stamp I know of would be the 1c specimen overprinted interior official stamp identified as such.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    SATX Collector likes this.
  3. Molokai

Thank you VERY much Hochstrasse! You are most helpful as I reboot my stamp collecting efforts! I see you are in California but have a Deutsch moniker 'High Street' - Do you collect Germany?

Initially my interest are: 2-cent, 24-cent, 30-cent 1861s, the Pictorials, large Banknotes and Second Bureau. I am first re-assembling my library and working through a list of about 100 books and periodicals I need.

One of the nice things about this forum and stamp collecting in general - the folks are so friendly, helpful. I am also on a chess forum and there is always fighting and acrimony between the members.

4. Hochstrasse

I collect U.S. and Germany. I have a lot of modern China too. I share your interest in the Pictorials and Banknotes, actually all of the classics through the Washington/Franklins. My U.S. collection ends at 2000 and my German collection about 1990. I guess I collect the modern China stuff because the themes and formats are interesting and different.
    I think the folks here on this forum are the greatest, there is almost never a sharp comment made here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  5. Molokai

The Washington/Franklins make me dizzy! I am waiting for the third Frangipane volume to hopefully sort them out for me. I've seen all sorts of charts/tables but they still confuse me.

Modern China - Do you know of any stamps with a 'Go' theme? Meaning the game that is popular in the Orient? Called Weiqi in Chinese. I also collect chess-on-stamps and was trying to find some Go stamps but no luck although I know Japan issued some perhaps 30 years ago.

6. Hochstrasse

Yes, I have both the 1993 Chinese stamps with the Weiqi theme. One of which I just found an online picture of.
    [​IMG]

Just found the other one.

[​IMG]

7. Molokai

Cool beans! Do you have the Scott #s? I'll see if I can purchase them. the Japanese were the kingpins for many years, in the late 20th century the Chinese overtook them at Go and now the Koreans are very strong so perhaps some Korean issues I would imagine.

8. Hochstrasse

No, oddly enough I don't have any catalogue for Chinese stamps, but if I get to the library I'll get some Scott numbers. They both came out in 1993.

9. Molokai

10. Hochstrasse

You are welcome Molokai! The price for both being in the 50c each range is a fair price for MNH. I like the first day covers from China Post, I have a number of them.

11. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Just started collecting China myself... but in the middle to late 1860's.

I am into board games as well and will not only look for the stamps but also the rules for the game... any help would be appreciated.

12. Molokai

The game is 'Go' in Japan, 'Weiqi' in China and 'Baduk' in Korea. The Japanese dominated the game for centuries, but now the Chinese and Koreas are the best players in the world. Lots of Go websites, here's a place to start -

https://gogameguru.com/

There is also the American Go Association -

www.usgo.com

Play and learn Online -

pandanet-igs.com/

zararina likes this.
  13. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I am quite familiar with the term Weiqi. :)
    Thanks for the references.

Draft saved Draft deleted