Confused by Design Measurements

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Baker J, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Baker J

Baker J Member

Hi all! I am sure you have heard it all before from others believing that they have a 594 or 596, only to have their beliefs shot down. I always try to believe that I have the most common, cheapest stamp there is and try to go through a process of elimination until I ID the stamp at hand. Through my searches online, using sites like Stamp Smarter or Swedish Tiger, I noticed some stamps are the same except for the design measurements. That leads me to ask questions and I will use the 596 as an example. In the catalogue, it says the measurements are approximate. So if they are just listed as something to go by, what kind of a +/- tolerance is allowed for listed measurements? I have also noticed different measurements are listed for a 596, pending on which site I visit. Stamp Smarter has a 596 at 19x22 1/2. Linn's has it listed at 19 1/4x22 1/2. Swedish Tiger has it listed at 19 1/2x22 1/2. In the cat. it says "measures approximately 19 1/4x22 1/2. Which is right? Now you see why I am confused. Any and all input is appreciated. I thank you in advance.

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I go by the Scott Specialized catalog for U.S. stamps which is purportedly the arbiter of all thing U.S.. They claim 19 1/4 X 22 1/2 mm. The word approximation covers inking differences that would arise from printing circumstances. This is not going to turn a 1/4 into a 1/2 or 1/2 into 1/4. BTW the Scott Specialized says most copies of 596 have a Kansas City, MO precancel. I would put in doubt any copy lacking that without certification and actually any stamp without certification.

Baker J likes this.
  3. Baker J

Baker J Member

I only used the 596 as an example because I saw it listed with 3 different measurements from 3 different sites. So would it be safe to say the inking differences could be .1mm to .15mm for any stamp that requires the measuring of the design, unless otherwise noted?

Hochstrasse likes this.
  4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I don't think the variances would be that great. I have never seen a measurement vary to the extent that a clear delineation between types has ever been a confusion in my measurement of design fields. I certainly would urge anyone who believes that they have a rare stamp in their possession to have it expertised. The fact is that many rare stamps do turn up in the hands of regular collectors unbeknownst to sources from whence they came.

Baker J likes this.
  5. Baker J

Baker J Member

Thank you for your responses to my questions. You have given me more info today than I have received over the last couple of months of asking. I appreciate it. Once again, thank you.

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted