Conductors on Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Apologies if we have this topical already on StampExchange.

My three ATF (in order) are Carlos Kleiber, Otto Klemperer and Arturo Toscanini.

I don't find a stamp for Kleiber. Klemperer's best work (IMHO) was in the 1940s and 1950s. Into the 1960s he slowed things down so much a lot of his Beethoven sounds like a funeral dirge. His tempos were always slow, to bring out the various instrumental groups and making for never-again superiority in dynamics.

KlempererStamp.jpg

Toscanini did wonderful Beethoven. In the video below, the Tympani come in too loud and you can see Arturo's quick displeasure at 7:43.

ToscaniniStamp.jpg

As you can see on the various YouTube videos, opinions on conductors and specific pieces vary enormously. To each, his own!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Hochstrasse likes this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Molokai,
    I found an interesting blog that features composers, conductors, singers and performers on stamp. Although it doesn't look like it's currently active it does have a nice grouping of music related stamps. Personally I don't have a favorite conductor, I actually never really thought about it I guess.
    http://musiconstamps.blogspot.com/

Molokai likes this.
  3. Molokai

Nice link; thank you HOCH!

4. Molokai

The very famous Wilhelm Furtwangler. The only well-known conductor not to leave Germany during Hitler's reign. Somewhat controversial on that score (no pun intended!) but he wasn't afraid to go up against the regime. Early on he is to have said of Hitler, "This hissing street peddler will never get anywhere in Germany" - too bad he was wrong.

He wrote a scathing letter to Goebbels about the Reich's antisemitism...and almost got himself sent to a concentration camp!

As to style, a little too formal for my tastes but always majestic...

furz2stamp.jpg

Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Molokai!

I have heard of Furtwangler, but he as well as all other conductors have really never fascinated me. I'm sorry to say that my ignorance on the subtle nuances that conductors place on their orchestras with particular pieces of music don't interest me other than to say I prefer a certain recording over another.

DonSellos likes this.
  6. Molokai

A music major friend introduced me to classical music in college. Like many subjects including stamp collecting, you can plumb it as deep as you want. As they say, "I don't know art, but I know what I like!"

Draft saved Draft deleted