Commercial Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Werner Salentin, May 4, 2017.

1. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Image (48).jpg An envelope mailed from France in January 2018,with three airmail stamps from 1997 with a denomination of 20 francs and an issue from 1980 with a value of 2 francs.It has a very nice cancel and only took 4 weeks to arrive in Ecuador...

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Very nice! Super franking.

Don

3. DonSellos

This cover looks like it might have carried information about the Colorado Motel to a Colorado association of travel agents. I collected it because of the full-cover illustration of mountains and forests. The postmark was not well inked and the month and day are not legible, but the year of posting was 1992. By the 1990s, most businesses used a postal meter, but this one used stamps, one as old as 1976. The sender was either a stamp collector or knew about, and used, discount postage. I checked on Google and at the time I purchased this cover, 2016, the Colorado Motel was no longer at 2021 W. Colorado Avenue. It appears to be a series of offices there now.

Don

aaa.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  4. DonSellos

Here is an interesting contemporary illustrated cover that showed up in my mailbox back in 2005. It is one of the cleverest illustrated envelopes that I have seen. Actually, the cover is not illustrated. Instead, the envelope is a clear plastic and the fish is a cardboard insert that opens up and informs readers the price of an Oklahoma fishing license and provides contact information on how to get one. I consider it a unique addition to my contemporary illustrated cover collection.

Don

aaa.jpg

aaa2.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  5. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Sorting through my shoe boxes of covers and found this interesting item.
    It was sent from Galerie Art et Collection,an art gallery representing num,erous artists.One of these is Marcel Hemmerle who has produced various water colours of Colmar,one of which is featured on the stamp.
    The cover also has an excellent circular postmark....as well as the more common two lined postmark. Image (18).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  6. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

A multi-stamp registered cover from Japan:
    Bf Japan.jpg
    sent July 17th,1970

7. Werner Salentin

And the back:
    Bf Japan17.7.70.jpg
    left and middle:the two panes of the 2nd Expo´70 booklet,
    issued June 15th,1970.

DonSellos likes this.
  8. DonSellos

A cover from a smaller aviation company addressed to the Piper factory in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania and postmarked in 1943. It is franked with Sc. 905 Win the War stamp first issued in 1942. It has a reasonably good drawing of a Piper aircraft in the return address, along with the Piper Cub logo. The use of the logo leads me to believe that Decatur Aviation was a Piper dealer. The cover also uses the popular WW II slogan "Keep 'em Flying" in the lower left corner. This one is destined for my Aircraft on Covers collection, and I have a duplicate that I'll place in my "Keep 'em Flying" mini collection.

The Piper J-3 Cub is one of the most iconic airplanes manufactured in the United States. So much so that for decades small private aircraft were all referred to as "Cubs." Piper no longer manufactures Cubs and its plant is no longer in Lock Haven, but the original plant at Lock Haven is still there and a portion of it now houses a museum documenting the history of Piper aircraft. Well worth the stop for aviation enthusiasts if travelling through or near Lock Haven.

Don

aaa.jpg

9. DonSellos

Since the 1990s I have been a collector of covers sent from or addressed to my home state of Iowa. I recently acquired the Iowa-related cover below from eBay. I consider it a real prize for a couple of reasons. First, it is from Council Bluffs, Iowa, and my father was born there and I lived there for awhile in 1959-1960. Secondly, it is really a new find for me. I was not aware of Dwarfies cereals before seeing this cover, but it was a very successful marketer of wheat cereals with a wide midwestern and mountain states distribution. It originated in Fargo, North Dakota and moved to Council Bluffs in 1929 for the better railroad connections. By 1947, the company employed 125 people and ran three shifts. It remained in business until 1954 when the company sold its cereal line and turned to manufacturing vitamins.

Some of its success may be attributed to its appeal to kids. Dwarfies included prizes in boxes of its cereal much like Cracker Jack did. I believe some of the prizes were "Dwarfie" figurines, and other toys for kids. There is a Dwarfies cardboard pistol currently for sale on eBay. Dwarfies also sponsored a daily afternoon radio show on WOW radio in Omaha that featured a comedy duo, Heinie and Karl who apparently played to the large German immigrant population in the upper midwest.

This cover, with its accompany letter and photo of Karl and Heinie testify to the apparent popularity of the show. The letter and photo are a response to a request from the addressee. The cover's postmark is a mute one and the letter undated, but the photo card is dated 1933 in its signature line. So, I am guessing that this cover dates from the mid-1030s.

All in all, a great addition to my Iowa Covers collection.

Don

aaa.jpg

The reverse:

aaa2.jpg

The enclosed letter from Heinie and Karl:

aaa3.jpg

The Heinie and Karl photo card

aaa4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  10. DonSellos

Here is another Iowa commercial cover. Jolly Time popcorn has been headquartered in and sold from Sioux City, Iowa, since the company was founded in 1914. C. H. Smith founded the company in the basement of his home in Sioux City and the company is still owned by the Smith family. Jolly Time was a regional brand until the 1950s when radio and television advertising gave it national recognition. It has remained a popular product even with the advent of microwave popcorn. This cover is a nice example of company advertising from the 1950s.

Don

aaa.jpg aaa2.jpg

11. Werner Salentin

Bf3.jpg
    Could be called a stamp-dealer-cover,sent June 4th,1981.
    I have "cut" the letter to size,so that it will appear hear in the
    normal way.

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

I like the franking on that cover. Nice high values from the Americana Series.

Don

13. Werner Salentin

Again a letter from a stamp dealer:
    Bf4.jpg
    sent July 1st,1981

DonSellos likes this.
  14. DonSellos

Again, nice franking on this cover! For some reason unknown to me, the 25c Paul Revere coil stayed in use longer than other stamps from the 1950s Liberty definitive issue.

Don

15. Werner Salentin

BF I.jpg
    Again a letter from a stamp-dealer,sent Jan.23rd,1980

16. Werner Salentin

And the back:
    BF Ib.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  17. DonSellos

A dealer who uses all aircraft stamps on his outgoing mail has to be a good one!

Don

18. Werner Salentin

BF 2.jpg
    Another letter from John B.Head,sent Sept.27th,1971.

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  19. DonSellos

Usually once a week, I search for covers on eBay using a series of search terms. One of the terms is "Oklahoma," the state in which I currently live. My goal is to find a different or interesting item. What turns up, mostly, are contemporary FDC, philatelic event covers, 1st flights and routine commercial covers. In April, though, a cover from the Stilwell Democrat Journal came up at a reasonable price and I bought it for its colorful strawberry cachet.

My first thought was "why is a small town newspaper using stationery with a strawberry cachet?" My second was, "who are they trying to fool with the extravagant claim of Stilwell being the strawberry capitol of the world?'

After some internet research on the town, it turns out that there are large strawberry fields in the vicinity of Stiwell and in 1948 the local Kiwanis club organized the first Strawberry Festival. The festival is still going and my wife and I attended this year. It was an experience. Stilwell, a town of abour 4,000 souls, is in a very rural part of eastern Oklahoma, only about 8 miles from the Arkansas border. The festival included good country music performers, at least a dozen food trucks, homemade ice cream, a car show with some excellent restorations of cars and pickups from the 1920s through the 1960s, a strawberry queen, a parade, multiple vendors of crafts and other merchandise, a horseshoe pitching contest, and, of course, strawberries. I doubt that Stilwell produces more strawberries than say California, but the festival made for a fun day. The Stilwell Democrat Journal is still publishing, albeit only once a week now, A pic of its office is below.

Don

The cover:
    aaa.jpg

The office of the Democrat-Journal:

20180512_134049 (2).jpg

20. Werner Salentin

BF.jpg
    A surface registered letter from another dealer,sent Jan.23rd,1980.

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted