Commercial Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Werner Salentin, May 4, 2017.

1. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Briefe2.6.96.jpg
    sent June 2nd,1996

James-2489 likes this.
  2. Werner Salentin

Briefe4.jpg
    registered letter,sent ca.1980

James-2489 likes this.
  3. Werner Salentin

Briefe5.6.70.jpg
    registered air-mail letter,posted June 5th,1970

James-2489 likes this.
  4. Werner Salentin

Briefe18.12.86.jpg
    registered letter,sent Dec.18th,1986

5. Werner Salentin

Briefe26.7.84.jpg
    Registered letter sent July 26th,1984.
    The strip in the middle with the four greenish blue fields is the
    end of a coil.

DonSellos likes this.
  6. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Interesting! I have not seen that before.

7. Werner Salentin

Briefe1a.jpg
    Kind of postal stationary from the German Post.Remarkable is
    the (printed) "cancellation" ! Sent 2005.

8. Werner Salentin

Bf21.9.81.jpg
    registered letter,sent Sept.21st,1981

anglobob likes this.
  9. Werner Salentin

Bf20.1.89.jpg
    A rather uncommon use of service stamps for foreign mail.
    Sent Jan.20th,1989.

DonSellos likes this.
  10. Werner Salentin

Bf9.6.99.jpg
    registered letter sent June 9th,1999
    What ever did happen to Channel Island Stamp Co.?

11. DonSellos

I have never heard of them before, but then I have never done much mail order from non-U.S. sources.

Don

12. DonSellos

Illustrated commercial covers from the 19th and 20th centuries are actively collected, but 21st century covers not so much. One of the downsides of contemporary advertising/commercial covers is their size. Most are legal-sized envelopes. Nevertheless, I have taken to collecting 21st century illustrated covers and below is one I received this week. It has a great image of a Grumman TBM Avenger on the cover and is destined for my Aircraft on Covers collection.

The Avenger was a torpedo aircraft used by the U.S. Navy and first saw action in the Battle of Midway in June 1942, More than 9,000 were produced. The contents of the cover was a solicitation for money to transport and restore this aircraft for the Pacific Aviation Museum.

Airplane.jpg
    Most of the contemporary advertising covers I have collected fall into the junk mail category, but that is okay with me. They come to me free and almost daily.

Don

13. DonSellos

The Commemorative Air Force, a non-profit conservation group that restores and preserves WW II aircraft, is another organization that frequently uses illustrated covers to solicit funds. Below is such a solicitation cover that I received earlier this year and is destined for my Aircraft on Covers collection. It has a photo illustration of a B-17 in flight, one of the iconic U.S. aircraft of the WW II period.

Airplane 2.jpg
    Most covers in this genre use a window envelope showing the addressee's name When I mount the covers in my album I leave my name and address showing, but slip a piece of paper over it (as above) for security purposes when posting online. The free gift referenced is usually a decal of some type or address labels.

Don

Werner Salentin likes this.
  14. DonSellos

The Christmas season always brings several illustrated covers with Christmas themes from organizations soliciting money. Here's one with a Santa Claus motif that appeared in my mailbox a couple of yeas ago.

xmas 1.jpg
    Don

Hochstrasse likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Before moving on from contemporary illustrated commercial covers, I will show the below cover from a religious group non-profit. Covers from religious groups appear in my mailbox with regularity and some are attractive enough to keep. This one from 2015 is from the Capuchin Franciscans seeking donations for their mission work.

The cover features a painting of St. Anthony of Padua and the infant Jesus. St. Anthony was Portuguese by birth and a member of the Franciscan Order. He is revered by Catholics as the patron saint of lost souls, people and things. The gift referenced on the cover consisted of thirteen short prayers to St. Anthony and a necklace with his image.

Don

Religious cover.jpg

16. DonSellos

Among the covers I collect are those from philatelic publishers such as my recent acquisition below from the Western Stamp Collector originally published by Al and Arlene Van Dahl in Mill City, Oregon. This cover has a couple of collecting points.

First, it represents a letter mailed during the early years of the publication. The Van Dahls had originally owned the Mill City (Oregon) Logue a weekly newspaper, but it failed to prosper. Al Van Dahl began to include a supplement in the Logue on stamp collecting and called the supplement the Western Stamp Collector. The WHC prospered and the Van Dahls moved its publication to Albany, Oregon in August 1935.

Unfortunately, the date of the cancel on this cover is not fully legible, but the airmail franking and the date that the WHC moved to Albany allows me to establish an approximate year date. On July 1, 1934, the domestic airmail rate changed from 8c to 6c and the WHC moved from Mill City to Albany, Oregon in August of 1935. My guess is the cover, perhaps, carried a notice of the move to Albany and the month of the postmark is legible, March. So, I am led to believe the cover was posted in March of 1935.

The second collecting point is the addressee. Stephen G. Rich of Verona, New Jersey was a nationally know collector of South African and precancel stamps, and a philatelic writer and publisher of philatelic books, thus making this a philatelic association cover. Rich may have been a contributing author to, or advertiser in the WHC.

Don

WHC.jpg

17. DonSellos

Here's a marginal commercial cover in that it is a private usage of a hotel cover furnished to guests. It is postmarked Feb 5, 1938. The sender apparently stayed there and carried the envelope home and mailed it from Los Angeles.

I purchased it because I stayed at the Plains Hotel in the early 1960s when I worked as a substitute railway mail clerk. The run was on the Union Pacific from Omaha Nebraska to Cheyenne, Wyoming, stay overnight and return the next day. I believe the Plains is still operating as a hotel.

Don

xmas hotel.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  18. DonSellos

Dyal's Fabulous Fruits used this Christmas-related cover to promote its products. Given that this cover was mailed in October, it may have carried a price list of fruit baskets for Christmas gifts. I checked the internet, but could not find Dyal's. The 1950s is a long time back and it is probably no longer in business. I found this cover in a dealer's $1 box at a regional stamp show in 2014 and purchased it with the intent of reselling it on eBay as an illustrated cover. Instead, I decided to keep it and add it to my small Christmas cover collection. This decision provides a very good reason why I could not make a living as a stamp and cover dealer!

Don

xmas.jpg

xmas 2.jpg

19. Werner Salentin

Bf1.9.70.jpg
    The most northerly place,I ever received mail from,
    sent Sept.1st,1970.

DonSellos likes this.
  20. DonSellos

That's really far north! Given how remote it is, I'm surprised at the population of Tomoso, close to 75,000.

Looks very picturesque, and cold. Here's a photo of the town from Google

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted