Commercial Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Werner Salentin, May 4, 2017.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

A check on Google does not bring up Lancaster's Lunch in Dix Field, Maine, so it probably disappeared when Lancaster retired. I'll bet it was a great place to eat in its day. Most likely served leftover turkey for the blue plate special on November 25, 1932, the day the cover was posted, as the 24th was Thanksgiving Day.

Aside from the commercial corner card, I collected this cover (how's that for excessive alliteration?) for its postmark. Dix Field, according to Wikipedia, claims to be the only town in the world so named. I'll take the claim at face value. The current postmark seems to close up the name to Dixfield. The town's population in 2010 was ca 2,550 souls.

Don

b120.jpg

Molokai, anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  2. DonSellos

This 2 cents postal card, Sc. UX38, is common with little philatelic value, but I had to buy it once I saw the advertising on its reverse. Part of the year date is missing from the cancel dial, but I believe it safe to say that it was posted October 2, 1955. I say 1955 because the card was first issued in 1951 and the first year thereafter ending in 5 would be 1955. Conceivably it could have been posted in 1965, but that would require additional postage, which it lacks.

The Glo Plug model airplane engines advertised on the reverse brought a rush of nostalgia. From the time I was twelve until about fifteen I was an avid builder of model airplanes most of which required an engine similar to these to fly. World Engines is not a name I recognize, but the displacement of those offered is very familiar. World Engines was probably an importer of Shigeo Ogawa (OS) engines from Japan. I liked Fox engines, especially the Fox .25, and the tiny Cox .049's.

For those not familiar with Glo Plug engines, they are a type of diesel that do not require an electrical system to run. They used a special methanol fuel and did need an initial electric current to heat the plug, but once running the electric power source was disconnected and the heat from the combustion would keep the plug glowing red hot and the engine running. Wikipedia gives a German immigrant, Ray Arden, credit for inventing Glo Plug engines circa 1947.

I doubt I will find many similar covers, but I'll put this in my commercial advertising collection where it can remind me of a very carefree time of my life.

Don

b124.jpg

b125.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  3. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

"Part of the year date is missing from the cancel dial, but I believe it a safe to say that it was posted October 2, 1955. I say 1955 because the card was first issued in 1951 and the first year thereafter ending in 5 would be 1955. Conceivably it could have been posted in 1965, but that would require additional postage, which it lacks." The <StampDetective> does it again!:)

I was more into the tether cars, but collected model engines (and books on them, of course!) for some years. My Uncle Johnny started me off with several 1930s-40s spark ignition engines. I still have a dozen or so and they are fun to look at, touch, mount on a board and fire-up once-in-awhile.

Here is a timeline of the O.S. brand...they are still kicking, apparently.

https://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/

DonSellos likes this.
  4. DonSellos

I have never seen a real gasoline-fueled model engine with an electrical system. Must have taken up a lot of space in the model.

Thanks for the link, Molokai. The advertising today sure is a lot slicker than the post card of 1955. As I was poking around the internet looking for these engines I found this link which is apparently a dealer that sells these items. Some quite pricey. The ones you still have may be worth some dollars!

http://www.collectair.org/vintageengines.html

Don

Molokai likes this.
  5. DonSellos

I found no evidence that Magic Valley Groves is still in business, but Alamo, TX, and the Magic Valley are still there. Alamo is a town, just east of McAllen, TX, in the Rio Grande Valley and in an area long-noted for its agriculture products, especially citrus fruits. This cover is a recent acquisition headed for my "foods" advertising collection. Nice images front and back, a colorful addition.

Don

b143.jpg b144.jpg

Werner Salentin and Molokai like this.
  6. Molokai

It is mostly a Boomer hobby - and when we are gone....I had a complete run of the Engine Collector but sold it along with quite a few engines years ago.

7. Molokai

Very attractive and colorful cover!!

8. DonSellos

Amazing! Chess books, philatelic publications, stamps, model engines, --- what else do you collect, Molokai?? How does one store and display model engines? In display cases with the engines laying on their sides? Do you collect chess sets as well?

Don

Molokai likes this.
  9. Molokai

No chess set collecting. Model engines - displayed often on small blocks of finished wood. Sometimes in clear plastic/glass cases. Sometimes in the original box - I have a McCoy Red Head displayed in that fashion. The rest of them...shoe boxes. :)

DonSellos likes this.
  10. DonSellos

I haven't posted a Texas Refinery Corp.commercial usage first-day cover for sometime. This is a new acquisition featuring Percy, the ghostly sales manager, three of the corporation's top salesmen, and a first-day cancel for the statehood centennial of West Virginia. These covers are not seen as frequently as they used to be and are getting pricey. I sure wish there was a checklist of them so I'd know how many I still have to acquire.

Don Sellos

b580.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  11. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

To me this cover is as typical (US) american as can be.
    I don´t think that such a cover could be produced in Germany,let alone
    posted to any customers.Different cultures,for sure.Very interesting !

12. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

Werner, nice to see that Be-Line kept your envelopes and returned them to you

13. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

nice cancels Werner...

14. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

Nice when the sender goes to the effort to add different stamps for you IMG_0001.jpg

15. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

A cover posted11 December 1959 - love the Christmas cancellations

Attached Files:

16. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

And it is even nicer if the stamps are properly cancelled.....

17. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Betty,you made me cruise through the earliar posts.Much more easy,
    than to look at the original envelopes,what are "hidden" in a number
    of boxes.
    As far as BE-LINE is concerned,I simply ask them to return my (order-)
    envelopes.I think,they gladly oblidged,if only to keep a customer happy.

18. DonSellos

@BettyBoop :

Hi Betty.

I have to ask -- are you related to the famous Sister Kenny (Elizabeth Kenny) who gained fame for her treatment of polio victims?

Don

19. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

Sorry Don, I cannot make any claim to fame with Elizabeth Kenny - mine is a married only surname, and no connection there either.

20. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

so true, and as we all keep repeating, WHY do the GB mail people cross through the stamps with a pen, and worse, a thick texta line... ?

Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted