Commercial Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Werner Salentin, May 4, 2017.

1. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

No,I do not collect such modern stamps of Canada.

2. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

The cover to the UNITED PRUNE GROWERS of CALIF. made me crack-up.
    Nice & interesting group of covers...Kudos!
    HG

3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Well, I finally got my taxes for last year done. Time to put up a few images again. This one an addition to my collection of commercial-usage of FDC. As I have mentioned before, the Texas Refinery in Ft. Worth, Texas, put out a bunch of these during the 1960s. I don't attempt to collect them all, just the ones featuring the ghostly sales manger, Percy. This is one more attractive as it looks like a watercolor was used as part of the cachet background.

Don

aaa2a.jpg

4. DonSellos

This cover is a variation on a commercial usage FDC. It utilizes a cachet prepared by a municipal centennial committee, but used by a local company (Otoe Food Products) for its business mail. Fortunately, it came with the explanatory note from Otoe Food Products. Nebraska City chartered in 1854 is one of the first, if not the first town is Nebraska Territory.

Don

aaa3.jpg aaa2a.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  5. Harry Golightly

Nice Cover, Don.
    IMO, 'Percy' reminds me of a hot dog wiener that has been left out of the fridge longer than recommended.
    HG

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  6. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

'Camp Fire Girls' is now 'Camp Fire' for 'everyone.'It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world.' Kinks, 'Lola' (1970).

7. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Aahh...The Kinks...my all-time favourite group....grossly underestimated in my opinion...I think Lola should be on a stamp as well ....another thread ???:clown::clown::clown::clown:

Harry Golightly and Molokai like this.
  8. DonSellos

Yes, sigh, regrettably so!

Another sigh for Kinks & Lola, what, who, are they, asked the out-of-touch old timer. The only Lola I was aware of probably would not be welcomed to the campfire. :confused:

Don

Harry Golightly likes this.
  9. anglobob

Lola was a stamp collector...Would you like to see my collection? she asked....in a dark brown voice...:playful::playful::playful:

10. Molokai

LOL!

11. DonSellos

A stamp collector, you say. Wait! Was she from Argentina, Rosario, perhaps?

Don

12. anglobob

No....I met her in a club down in old Soho........

Bob

Harry Golightly and Molokai like this.
  13. Harry Golightly

My O' My, how we doth wonder on this group...All the way from Camp Fire...
    a spoiled wiener..to the Kinks & Lola.
    (FYI, Rice University, also known as the "Harvard of the South's" School band's
    theme song was the Kink's 'Ape Man') One of my favorite Kink songs & YES, I agree, they were under appreciated.
    Don, What a great cover, to start all of these memories & mishegas...(Still Great Fun!)
    HGG

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  14. DonSellos

I was looking at my NAMW covers recently and noted this one which I placed in the commercial usage category. Is the Taylor Wine Company still in business? It has been a long time since I've seen any of their products for sale.

Don

aaa2-scfopt(1).jpg

15. Molokai

Haven't seen it for awhile. It was a fairly good wine as I recall. Gone now I guess along with Cold Duck, Chill A Cella and Aldo. I think Man O Manischewitz is still around.

16. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Don,
    I remember consuming a few bottles of Taylor Wine in my time. My memory of it was that it was a decent wine. The downfall began when it was sold to Coca Cola. After Coke it was sold again three times. In 1995 it folded for good and decimated the local economy in the region.
    https://newyorkhistoryblog.org/2015/02/rise-and-fall-of-nys-taylor-wine-company/

Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  17. DonSellos

Too bad. I liked it too. Family-owned wineries seem to be going the same route as family breweries -- all bought up by the big boys. It seems like Belgium owns most of the world's beer brands these days. Not all bad, but for me it is always a pleasure to sample local and regional products when traveling.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  18. Molokai

My 'go to' in college was Gallo Hearty Burgundy, $0.99 the bottle.

DonSellos likes this.
  19. DonSellos

I have always found Gallo wines drinkable, especially after the first glass!

Don

Molokai likes this.
  20. anglobob

Never really been known as a wine drinker,much prefer beer...but whatever I drink tastes better after a few glasses...:cat::cat:

Bob

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted