Commercial Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Werner Salentin, May 4, 2017.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Interesting cover, Werner. The postmark provides no location information. Maybe the "20" at the bottom of the dial is a post office number that gives a location.

Don

2. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

I think so.
    It is somehow amazing: I lived for nearly forty years,first under British
    Occupation,later under British Protection and the only contact I ever had
    with any british soldier was the shown letter.
    But then I lived in a big city and it might have made a difference if I had
    lived in the country-side,where most of the troops were located.

3. Werner Salentin

BF Jugoslawien9.4.93.jpg
    A "recycled" FDC sent on April 9th,1993.
    Because of the rapid inflation in Yugoslavia I am not sure what a letter to
    Ireland would have costed in March 1983,but I guess around 20.- Din.
    Ten years later 100.000.- Din. postage were needed.And from then on,
    inflation really accelerated...

DonSellos likes this.
  4. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

I recently received the following envelope...nice stamps and nice cancellations.However,I was not at home to receive it so it was sent back to the main post office,and I had to wait 48 hours before I could collect it.Unfortunately,a post office employee decided to follow the rules and stamped the cover ,advising me the cover had not been delivered.Normally,they just try and redeliver the next day.Its very frustrating dealing with Correos de Ecuador...you never know what to expect !!!..Also writing on the stamps.Still,its worth keeping I think..an interesting piece of postal history maybe in 50 years time...:chicken::chicken:

5. anglobob

Sorry...forgot to post the picture...:bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored: Image (128).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  6. Werner Salentin

Bf DK.jpg
    Nothing spetacular,really.But a nice cancelling: sent on July 14th,2017 from
    Denmark,arrival on July 28th in Villarrica,Paraguay.Could not have been
    documented better !

DonSellos likes this.
  7. anglobob

A cover I received recently.I do not collect Italian stamps and it appears that most of these stamps are not current issues,but nevertheless,a very interesting and colourful cover.The sender obviously took a lot of time and care when sending it.. Image (138).jpg

8. DonSellos

[QUOTEI do not collect Italian stamps][/QUOTE]

If you keep that cover, you do!:D

Lots of stamps on there. Once in awhile I get a stamp sales circuit franked that that. They are usually too large to keep intact and not worth the effort to soak off the stamps, but still interesting to receive.

Don

9. Laiza Macaubos

Laiza Macaubos New Member

I don't usually use stamps. In fact, I just only bought stamp for important purposes. But if given a chance to go from different places of the world (in Gods will, hoping that this will be granted), i would love to collect stamps.

10. anglobob

Why don,t you start now ?? It,s a fun hobby...you learn about different countries...cultures...people......

Bob

11. DonSellos

Second what Anglobob said. Collecting stamps also takes you mind off of things that trouble you. If you start, you will need a source of stamps to continue. Any stamps dealers where you live? If not, there is always the online sources, eBay & Delcampe. I used to buy a few stamps from Poppe Stamps in Lapu City, I believe. He had a very large inventory.

Also, welcome to the Exchange. We used to have another regular poster on the Exchange from the Philippines, but have not seen her for some time.

Don

12. Laiza Macaubos

Laiza Macaubos New Member

Maybe soon. As of now, due to financially unstable it is not yet
    my priority.

13. DonSellos

Here is a recently purchased commercial usage first-day cover for the Nebraska statehood stamp, Sc. 1328. In 1967, I was living in Omaha and got one of these in the mail carrying my telephone bill. Somewhere in the past, I sold it on eBay and had to pay a premium to get it back. :banghead:

Don

aaa7a.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  14. Werner Salentin

I am not sure,if I had shown this cover before.My internet connection is slow,
    so it would take to much time to look through all previous pages.
    I am also not really sure wether the stamps are from the Harrison or from the
    Mardon print,as I have no stamps for comparison.
    Bf Rhodesien b.jpg
    sent on Jan,23rd (?),1967

Attached Files:

DonSellos likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Hi Werner:

Scott places premiums on the two high values for both printers, with Mardon being the highest. You are correct, though, one cannot say which is which without side-by-side comparison. Let's hope they are the Mardon printing.

Don

16. anglobob

A cover I received yesterday,posted Jan 7 from Monaco.I was surprised to receive it in just 22 days,as I am still waiting for items posted in December !!!!
    This particular sender always takes great care with packaging and a nice selection of stamps too. Image (58).jpg

17. DonSellos

That's a considerate seller. He gave you a small bonus of about $15 catalog value with the Princess Grace Foundation ss, the pair of 10 francs Olympics, and the Botticelli high value stamp.

Don

18. DonSellos

This illustrated commercial cover is a recent acquisition with a short personal story motivating the purchase. My friends and I did a lot of hunting while growing up in rural western Iowa. It was one of our fantasies to be able to mount some of the animals we shot as "hunting trophies." The Northwestern School of Taxidermy used to advertise regularly in the hunting magazines and I remember responding to its ad for literature. I don't remember what I got, but I do remember the ads that featured something similar to what is on this cover. I had no interest in stamp collecting at that time and didn't save the literature or the cover it came in, but it was the memory of those colorful ads that prompted me to bid on this cover.

The cover is pretty ratty, rumpled on the edges and roughly opened on the reverse, but the seller had priced it accordingly. These covers normally sell for $50 and up, a price range too high for a cheapskate collector like me. The opening price for this one was 7.99, it had no bids and only 2 days remaining when I first saw it on eBay. I put in a snipe bid for $15.00 thinking that there were others holding off that would bid more. Lo and behold, I got it for 7.99 plus 1.25 shipping. Ratty or not, I now had my illustrated cover from the Northwestern School of Taxidermy, all for less than $10. As a bonus , it has wildlife conservation admonitions on the reverse and is also a welcome addition to my Omaha cover collection.

Don

aaa.jpg aaa2.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  19. DonSellos

I acquired a couple more commercial usage first-day covers recently. Here's one for the 1953 trucking industry stamp, Sc. 1025. These covers sometimes have a letter or note explaining first-day covers to non-collectors, but unfortunately one was not with this cover. I've always been amazed that companies, especially large companies like Firestone would go to the time and trouble to do this. I've often wondered if there was an independent advertising company who serviced these covers for businesses for a fee. Then again, maybe it was internal publicity or marketing departments who saw first-day issues as a good advertising opportunity, but that would mean someone in the company was watching first-day issue notices from the Post Office Department or the philatelic press. It would be interesting to know what inspired these covers.

Don

aaa2.jpg

20. DonSellos

Here is the second of my recently acquired commercial-usage FDC. This one the joint issue with Canada commemorating the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway. It is Sc. 1131 U.S., and Sc. 387 Canada. The Canadian stamp is extant with inverted center at considerable cost. Werner or Molokai may have one.

This cover should be attractive to those who collect ships on stamps and covers, but it didn't draw any spirited bidding. However, it is a #10 envelope and there are only a few of us who find them acceptable. #10's make for cheaper cover collecting, for sure.

Don

aaa2a.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted