Collections of USA Postcards ( # 106 to #120 ) Mostly WW1 PERIOD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by oz_in_ohio, Sep 11, 2017.

1. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

MOVED TO FOR SALE AREA

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Molokai likes this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Hi, Oz - Lovely but not my particular domain. They certainly are works of art from days when the pace was some slower.

I might be interested in 2nd Bureau pre-cancels if you have any of those? I am also in my 60s and just getting back into stamp collection...

3. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

Hi mate.... I have hundreds of pre cancels...However as i am from Australia originally, i am unsure on what 2nd Bureau are.... here is a scan of what i have with pre cancels

Attached Files:

Molokai likes this.
  4. Molokai

5. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

Is that too many pre cancels??? I found when i was in australia that certain people colleted certain states...So i decided to di the same with all 50 states of the USA but was hard.... I have sold some to peoplein nebraska but that is it as i have not listed many..I just gave nebraska a try out...but as i can only place 10 items in a thread, it will take me ages to list them
    Hal

6. Molokai

Most precancels are worth only pennies. I mostly look for higher values (50-cents ->) or from Colorado cities.

7. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

Actually, isnat anything simply worth what a person is willing to pay for them???

Molokai likes this.
  8. Molokai

Any Perfins?

9. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

Probably...what particular ones???

10. Molokai

Still 2nd Bureau, Oz. I know there were many on the 1c Franklin and 2c Washington.

May I ask what part of the Land Down Under you are residing? I've been to Sydney and up the Gold Coast some. I had a fellow in Tasmania I bought chess books from for some years and he always sent me postcards, flyers, and magazines about Tassie. Would love to get there someday; have a few early Tassie stamps. Heard Melbourne was nice, also.

11. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

I do not reside in Australia now....I am from Australia...as my username says OZ IN OHIO.....I reside approx 35 miles west of Cleveland...About 28 kilometers for me...lol...I am from melbourne and as a tourist ( or as we say - a turkey ) you may like it. However to live there is another story. We in melbourne have the only river that flows upside down and that is called the Yarra...You see all the rubbish is on the top!!...An average home is over half a million and is nothing special...Kids nowadays all rely on inheritance as no one can retire under 70 years of age now. When i left school in 1974, i was taught by teachers how to get unemployment without never have worked a day in my life.... All one has to do is apply for a job that is so hard to find that you will receive welfare forever... I applied for an apprentice lion tamer as one of my teachers advised me to...Circuses are so infrequent so therefor the job will not be found. Kids can leave school at 15 with ease. A high school diploma is not necessary if you only want to work at a job but there are several different wage levels. Adult and child... Personally if i were you, i would take the air fare money out of the bank, then when the teller gives it to you, go to the travel agent and try to see places you have not seen in the usa yet. Income tax in oz is 49c in the dollar and there is a GST ( good services tax on everything ), similar to NZ and canada. The tax is not placed on after you pick your items out like here , but has to be included in the price. To go put for dinner to TGIF ( for example ) off the appetizer menu, will cost you at least $75.00 with no alcohol...IF YOU DO GO TO OZ...PLEASE DO NOT TIP!!! It is not in our culture and if you do it due to our wages being larger... To work in a burger king, mcdonalds etc, they only hire people under 18 as they dont want to pay senior wages...Once the person is close to 18, they are booted. Personally i dont want to go back as it has nothing for me and i was born there.... Go to alaska instead of the gold coast...last time i was in the gold coast was in 1979 and hope never to go again..The japanese have taken a lot of it over when i was there...goodness knows who has now... DO NOT USA TAXIS IN MELBOURNE... The bill will be $50 in no time.... In Melbourne, we have trams like the cable cars in San Fransisco but not as hilly...They run until 11.00 pm or round abouts.. Go into flinderst street station and ger a time table of trains and trams...It will pay off. As in the USA , if you present a $50.00 bill, most places will not accept it as it is too big.... To give you an idea, $50 will not buy you a carton of cigarettes and a tank of gas is close if not now over $100.00..There is no such a thing as a free refill on soda or coffee etc unless it is a USA based store like fridays. A cup of coffee will cost you $2.50 minimum and if you want another, then you will pay another $2.50 and so on. Levis jeans you cannot buy for under $100.00...The import tax from the USA did that..As you see once they land in sydney, tarrifs are doubled on top of the cost and then once in the stores, they are tripled again.... Personally in 1990 i bought 6 pairs of levis for 15.90 each... I sold to my brother at $59.00 as he was so happy as he did not have to pay over $100.00 for the same thing. Just think about where you want to visit and look in your own back yard first.. if you shop at a market, please note there are 2 prices...One for cash and one for card. Do not be afraid to walk away if the discount is no good as they are possibly chinese oimports anyway.... If you want the genuine australian made items, there has to be a green and gold boomerand sticker on there...I camn go on and on but i feel you will find out for yourself what it will be like...JUST REMEMBER THE GAS OR PETROL...$100.00 it may cost you if not a bit more....I have copied and pasted this so i do not have to retype in full again if anyone asks me the same question. Lastly aussie money or notes is made of polymer or plastic ....have a nice day...OIO

12. Molokai

Interesting, thanks! I assumed you were visiting Ohio. My youngest works in Maumee and my personal assistant for many years lives in Painesville. As to Cleveland itself...I dunno, Melbourne sounds better. I do agree with you about the Gold Coast. I know a fellow up there now doing a big development for a UAR company; think they are all going to take a nice bath.

Any luck on 2nd Bureau Colorado precancels or any perfins? No rush, it is a minor interest and I have my hands full right now studying Newspaper stamps. Cheers.

13. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

No luck on those pre cancels...However i do have hundreds of pre cancels in general.... Both you and i know it is a limited client base that would collect them so i have scanned them in groups of the same state and then try to sell them....

A non stamp collector may find them intersting but as for you, i think you are way too developed in yout hobby...am i correcct??? It is like me only collecting used stamps with circular cancels only on the bottom left hand corner.... If they are cancellerd any where else and in any other format, i start the fire with them...lol

Guess we are all different ay???

I do have other hobbies like hard rock cafe pins, vinyl records of 60's and 70's , cinderella stamps and rock n roll memorabillia.... majority of my stamps perse were thrown in the fireplace by my ex and the ashes were posted to me by registered mail meaning i had to sign for them. That way she knew my heart was broken like a glass shattering on concrete. Certain coins i delve into but i only go into those specific dates in any grade due to limited mintage..My kids have no intrest so eventually i will sell the lot but not at stingy ebay prices.

I actually met a woman on the internet playing yahoo scrabble and she came from ohio...She had travelled over the world with the USA Army as she was in intellegence but she had never been to Australia.... After a few trips back and forth from both of us, we got married in 2004.... My grandfather gave her away as he never had a daughter and he was the proudest guy ever on that day.... It only was a civil ceremony and nothing lavish.... And here i am now. retired and in Ohio..As yiu can see i cut it short as i did not want to bore you....

Hal Nathan

Draft saved Draft deleted