Cinderellas

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Reasons, not sure, but maybe because they didn't have a strong market post WW II. Poster stamp collecting declined after the war. Poster stamps and labels were dirt cheap in the 1930s, so as their popularity declined the market softened, no catalogs for them, no pricing or scarcity references, collectors did not attempt to sell them, maybe even gave or threw them away. Now cinderella and ephemera stuff is beginning to be collected again. Lists and catalogs becoming available. Lots of old stuff lost, but now wanted.

No documentable basis. Just speculation on my part, but always ready to give an opinion. :)

Don

Molokai likes this.
  2. DonSellos

I picked up this set of poster stamps for my Iowa collection a couple of years back. They have languished in the shoe box while I tried to get some information on their origin, without success, until I discovered the Postal Stamp Bulletin online. There is a short reference to the set in one of the 1938 issues noting its availability and the number of stamps in the series (24). Initially, I doubted I had a complete set as one of the stamps, the one on the lower left of the first page had a vertical orientation rather than horizontal like all the others. I thought there was, perhaps, another set vertically oriented. When I saw that there were only 24 in the set, I figured out what had been done. The vertical stamp has two straight edges which meant that it was the lower right corner stamp and had been printed horizontally. That one is a road scene and the artist must have believed he/she needed the vertical format to illustrate the road with the proper perspective. That made remounting the stamps a little more difficult. There was no other information about the set, but given it was available in 1938 I have concluded it was issued to commemorate Iowa's territorial centennial that year. The set as illustrated below was on oversized album pages of the time. I have since remounted it into onto four letter-sized pages.

Don

aaa.jpg aaa2.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Man, I hope you and <ANGLOBOB> don't pull me too far into this cinderella thing...they come right out of my book budget! :nailbiting:

I suppose if I stick to philatelic shows/clubs I might be OK. I have a feeling I am going to wind up purchasing the Drummond book soon. If a 900 page book shows while wifey is here she is going to raise the roof.

DonSellos likes this.
  4. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

That,s the lure of collecting....:cat::cat::cat:
    I suppose I am lucky as I limit my cinderellas just to France...but since joining this group,have got interested in airmail covers, planes on stamps.....even have a weird interest in horses on bikes....
    I blame Don........:clown::clown::clown:

DonSellos likes this.
  5. Molokai

Yeah, let's blame<DON>. When I see him at the StampShow in August my wife can give him a piece of her mind! "So, YOU'RE the one who is encouraging my husband to buy all these books!?!"

I feel better already; I am going to go ahead and order the Drummond book!

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  6. DonSellos

Molokai:

Strangely, and regrettably, I have that same feeling. Then on the other hand, we cheapskates (Bob and I) can just ask you to look in your copy when we have a cinderella question. Yes, that might be a good alternative that would save some money!

Yeah, sure, blame the old guy! I plead not guilty. Molokai, I have full confidence that you wife is much more supportive of your hobbies than you let on. However, there may be some commiseration between spouses about collecting stuff. My wife complains that I only ask her to go with me for two things -- to look at airplanes and go to stamp shows. Not true, of course!

Don

Molokai likes this.
  7. Molokai

“Mrs Molokai, I didn’t encourage him to buy any books.”

“You’re in denial just like he is! Come on <MrsSellos> while these two are playing with those silly little scraps of paper you and I are going to do some Power Shopping!”

BTW - If memory serves (and it often doesn't these days) there is an aeronautical museum in Omaha of some sort? I seem to recall seeing a Mercury or Apollo space module there...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    DonSellos likes this.
  8. DonSellos

Back when I was a subscriber to a hard copy Linns I used to get cinderella labels with the subscription renewal offers. I wasn't into cinderellas at the time and I don't remember if I saved them all, but I recently found these. There are enough of them to mount as a page. I need to do that. They date, left to right, 1988,1991,1994, & 2000. I don't have a date on the last page, but believe it is the late 1990s. The 2000 labels are pressure sensitive adhesives. If anyone has different designs, I would welcome a trade.

Don

20190224_103336-scfopt.jpg 20190224_103402-scfopt-1.jpg 20190225_065716-scfopt.jpg 20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg aaa2-scfopt.jpg

9. DonSellos

I believe you are remembering the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum that is now at Ashland, Nebraska, southwest of Omaha on I-80. It used to be on Offutt Air Force Base, but moved off when the new building was finished. I've been to this one, but if there is another one I would love to go through it. Beverly will be thrilled too!:yawn:

Don

10. Molokai

There are a few on eBay at good prices...'future value' may be problematic.

Here is something from Linn's a bit earlier:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Cinder...573569?hash=item2858dd0cc1:g:hJwAAOSwKSRa4hSn

Do you have the Linn's Yearbooks? They are very inexpensive but I am wondering what kind of content...That all said, I do miss the old Linn's. A good part of my collection came from their mail auctions. 'Six blackjacks, F-VF, $4.00.':sorry:

11. DonSellos

Hi Molokai:

No, I have never been tempted to buy any of those. I ordered one of the Linns poster stamps offered in the link you provided. I also looked in eBay's specialty philatelics category, but didn't see any other Linns cinderella-type items. Did you see others?

Don

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  12. Molokai

No, that was the only one I saw.

I might order a few when I see a complete series of four or five at a price.

13. DonSellos

Here are a couple of stamp collecting-related cinderellas that mention benefits that accrue from collecting, i.e. new friendships and becoming better citizens. The orange one publicizes International Philatelic Week, an organization that dates back to the 1930s. It is the last label from this organization that Fields/Picklo lists. I have a few International Philatelic Week cinderellas from the 1930s, but as a group they lack chronological continuity. That lack presents a mounting problem. That is, if I mount what I have and then acquire another item later, I would need to redraw the page, which is a pain. The option is to let them languish is the shoe box. My items from the Precancel Stamp Society are a case in point. I'll post that page later. The other stamp also presents a mounting problem. It is too small to mount alone, but I don't have anything now that I can pair it with, so, it is headed for the shoe box.

Don

20190225_065716-scfopt.jpg 20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg

Molokai and anglobob like this.
  14. Molokai

The first one begs for a caption! Here's mine: "I found this 1c magenta in a kiloware mix."

DonSellos likes this.
  15. DonSellos

Herb Friendly, the stamp collector from next door says to his non-collecting neighbor, "Unfortunately, you grandfather's collection is not worth much, but I'll give you a buck for that envelope with the up-side-down airplane stamp on it.":greedy:

Hochstrasse, anglobob and Molokai like this.
  16. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Don,
    To update this joke with the Jenny reprint it would have to read "Unfortunately, your grandfather's collection is not worth much, but I'll give you a buck for that envelope with the right-side airplane stamp on it." :D

DonSellos likes this.
  17. DonSellos

This souvenir sheet brought back some memories. Back in the late 1940s we lived on a farm in Iowa and every Saturday afternoon my parents and I went to the county seat for shopping. At least my mother went shopping. I was assigned to my father who preferred to visit one of the local taverns. His favorite had a large window that faced main street and it displayed a copy of the famous Anheuser-Busch reproduction of Custer's Last Stand. I was fascinated with the painting and I would study it every time we went to tavern. When I saw this souvenir sheet produced by the Wilkinson (PA) Stamp Club, I had to buy it.

Cassilly Adams painted the original in 1885. It was a three-panel mural and measured 9.5' by 16.5'. Commissioned by a couple of art aficionados from St. Louis, it was toured and admission charged to view it. That did not produce much profit and it was sold to a saloon keeper in St. Louis who went bankrupt with money owned to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery, which subsequently acquired the painting. The brewery commissioned F. Otto Becker, an artist and lithographer, to scale it down and had it reproduced. Anheuser-Busch then gave lithograph copies to all its distributors and retail vendors. I remember seeing these reproductions in bars and taverns well into the 1960s. Today the lithographs sell in the low thousands. Anheuser-Busch gave the original to the 7th Cavalry. It was hung at Fort Bliss, Texas, and destroyed by a fire in 1946.

That's a long post to show a somewhat poorly printed souvenir sheet. It has four "stamps" perforated into the sheet with a brief description of their values. The colors are poor, the perforations are not well done and it is difficult to see their shapes. Still, as I said above, this was one I had to add to my burgeoning cinderella collection.

The second image is a copy of the Anheuser-Busch's lithograph.

Don

The souvenir sheet
    aaa.jpg
    The Anheuser-Busch lithograph.

[​IMG]

Werner Salentin, Molokai and anglobob like this.
  18. Molokai

Good story <DON>!

19. Molokai

Anyone for political Cinderellas?

I saw this one on eBay which brought back some memories. My friend, Jim and I were the only kids in Social Studies class who backed Goldwater. OF course, there was the infamous ‘Daisy’ commercial. But everyone was saying, “If you vote for Goldwater there will be war in Vietnam." For the rest of our school years any time the subject of that election came up, Jim and I would turn to each other and say, "They said if I voted for Goldwater they’re be war in Vietnam. I voted for Goldwater and sure enough there is war in Vietnam." Speak, memory.

GoldWaterStamp.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  20. DonSellos

Me too! The 1964 election was the first one that I was really interested in. My sense was the U.S. was going to Hell in a hand basket and Barry was our only chance for rescue. I "knew in my heart" (lol) that I was right and still think so. 1964 ushered in riots in the cities, war in Vietnam, the drug culture, debasement of our coinage, creeping inflation, and civil disobedience on a large scale. On the up side, it was the year I began collecting stamps.:joyful:

Don

Molokai likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted