Cinderellas

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, Mar 19, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

This thread might be better placed in the U.S. or World forums, but placement here allows for inclusion of cinderellas from the U.S. and other countries. I don't have a large collection of cinderellas and most of what I have is still in the shoe box. Some I have mounted and I will start this thread with the one below. It a souvenir-style sheet produced by the American Philatelic Society for its 1939 convention in San Francisco, and, in my opinion, is a take off on Scott 567, the 20c definitive from the 1923-1925 issue.

Don

The souvenir sheet:

aaa.jpg
    The model for the souvenir sheet??

aaa2.jpg

Dick Eassom, Molokai and anglobob like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

That is really pretty <DON>! I continue to be impressed with your pages - and happy you still have at least one shoe box!

DonSellos likes this.
  3. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Apologies if I have posted this is the wrong section.....:):)

A min sheet from France with different images of the iconic Marianne. Image (12).jpg

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  4. DonSellos

Bob:

Marianne is one of my favorite stamp personalities. It is interesting to see how she changes over the decades. It would make a nice mini exhibit with definitive stamps and cinderellas showing her progress over the years. The one I find least attractive is La Marianne du Bicentenaire, (image below). The dark eyes makes her look like she might be a victim of domestic abuse, or possibly the morning after a real hard night out!

Don

aaa.jpg

Molokai, Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  5. anglobob

These are probably my favourite cinderellas showing Marianne de Gandon.They were issued in 1949 for the Paris International Expo,which was part of the celebrations to commemorate 100 years of the first French stamp. Vignettes de Marianne.jpg

6. DonSellos

Bob:

A very nice set, good color.

Don

7. DonSellos

Thanks! Any progress on your acquisition of page maker software? Quite a few choices out there. Still several shoe boxes with backlog awaiting attention.

Don

8. DonSellos

Another American Philatelic Society cinderella issued in conjunction with its annual convention, this time ten years earlier in 1929. Undoubtedly, a favor cancel, but I like it anyway.

Don

aaa.jpg

Takis Kalogerakos and anglobob like this.
  9. Molokai

Lovely, striking!

10. Molokai

Nice! Do you know who the designer was on these nice APS cinderellas?

11. anglobob

Molokai....
    Hello...They were designed by J Carre Mazelin,a French designer and engraver.
    I have some other unusual cinderellas from this time period also and hope to post them over the next few days......
    Bob

12. anglobob

Molokai...sorry...just realized I replied to your question about other stamps .......senility is getting closer every day.....

Molokai likes this.
  13. Molokai

Actually, I was wondering about those, also. "Enquiring minds want to know..."

".......senility is getting closer every day....."

Its here for me!:nailbiting:

anglobob likes this.
  14. DonSellos

Molokai:

No, regrettably, I don't know.

Don

15. Molokai

Very nice designs! "Enquiringly minds want to know" - Let's put <HOCH> right on it!:cigar:

DonSellos likes this.
  16. anglobob

Image (23).jpg Image (19).jpg Image (21).jpg Image (22).jpg In 1949,special events and exhibitions were held in France to celebrate the centenary of the first French stamp.The official issue was a block of 10 stamps which nowadays has a high catalogue value.It showed a 10franc vermillon version of the original Ceres issue.
    There were aso numerous cinderella stamps issued at this time,and as is often the case,I find these more interesting and appealing than the official issues.
    A good example is an album issued in a limited edition of 3000 copies,containing copies of historical documents, designs and ideas for stamps and other essais.Some of these commemorate Albert Barre,a famous French designer and engraver.He also designed early stamps for Greece and Iran.

17. DonSellos

Here is an extra large souvenir sheet from a 1938 philatelic event. The National Federation of Stamp Club was popular in the late 1930s and 1940s with many stamp clubs participating . It seemed to disappear during the 1950s. Don't know what became of it. Somewhere, I have some covers commemorating its activities.

Don

aaa.jpg

anglobob likes this.
  18. DonSellos

Here is a set of eight labels with scenes of Prague commemorating an international philatelic exhibition held there in 1938. The definition of these labels is not great. It would have helped if they were printed in different colors.

Don

aaa3.jpg aaa4.jpg

19. DonSellos

An Iowa-related cinderella w/matching cacheted cover.

Don

aaa.jpg

20. DonSellos

Another Iowa-related cinderella with matching cacheted cover:

Don

aaa.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted