Cinderellas

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Anyone here collect Cinderellas?

In building a list of stamp books on topics of interest to me (U.S., Newfoundland, Hawaii, Tasmania) I also came across several tomes on Cinderellas which piqued my interest in them. There is even a Cinderella Club in the UK and a book on Greenland Cinderellas.

Re: Newfoundland - I saw this interesting short piece on Newfoundland Cinderellas:

http://www.askmeaboutstamps.com/?page_id=4147

Here are the books I found on them - let me know of others:

Chapier – Les Timbres de Fantaisie
    Cinderella Stamp Club – Handbooks (1-14)
    CSC – Library List
    CSC – The Cinderella Philatelist 1998-2005
    CSC – The Private Post 1977-1985 (8 issues)
    Daka – Cinderella 1999 Greenland (GrØnland)
    Hornadge – Cinderella Price Lists 1990-2000 (CD)
    King – Alice Through the Pillar-Box: A Philatelic Phantasy
    Melville – Phantom Philately
    R. Lowe – Cinderella Material (#4607, Auction Catalog)
    Sessions – The Philatelic Fantasies of BNA 1860-1910
    Springer – Handbook of North American Cinderella Stamps
    Williams – Cinderella Stamps

(Here's a chuckle - When I first saw 'Cinderella' mentioned as stamps I thought they were a Disney topical!:joyful:)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

VERY interesting!

Though I don't collect Cinderella's per se, I have some small number of them from other purchases... included in the lots as freebees.

I followed the link given and spent more time than I probably should have just looking at the pages... I DO appreciate a good 'tongue in cheek' jokester. And being a Lewis Carroll fan, I would like to possibly read the "Alice Through the Pillar-Box" listed above.

Thanks for sharing.

anglobob likes this.
  3. AtanasVelikov

AtanasVelikov Member

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms what is a Cinderella stamp?

4. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

From the Wikipedia article on them:

In philately, a cinderella stamp is "virtually anything resembling a postage stamp, but not issued for postal purposes by a government postal administration..." The term also excludes imprinted stamps on postal stationery.

SATX Collector likes this.
  5. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Some of us call them 'stickers' as they have no monetary value but ADD VALUE to the posting simply by being relevant!

6. AtanasVelikov

AtanasVelikov Member

Thank you, that makes more sense! Sorry for asking so many questions everyone!

7. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Don't apologize for asking questions, that's usually the best way to learn something new.

8. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I do not specifically collecting Cinderellas but have few of them in my collection. Thanks for all the info. :)

9. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

I don't but I'd love to see some!

10. AtanasVelikov

AtanasVelikov Member

I have to ask - every time you post something there are links of you stamp collection. Are you creating an online database or something?

11. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

No, just putting them online so that I can link to them if need be.

12. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

A cinderella stamp is simply a stamp that has no postal value towards the cost of the article shipped...It can be a small parcel or simply an envelope.... Another name for a cinderella stamp is simply a label or a seal. Many times people go to extreme lengths to find cinderella stamps that represent a similar topic of the usps issued item..EG The Kentucky Derby horse race...As the usps issues the first day covers with the set already on there with the day of issue, cinderellas on them can rarely if not ever be found...However if a blank cover can be purchased and the set of race horses plus a horse related cinderella can be made up by a collector and then posted to him or herself, that also shows the envelope has been genuinely used in the mail. If the collector is quick enough, they can also get that cover done on the first day of issue of the set of stamps. I have done this sort of thing in my younger years when i was at school and sold it years later for a very handsome profit at a stamp show. I made a cover of the 1977 England vs Australia cricket test with a sporting cinderella stamp... I have no idea if there are any others but i did not care..An item is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it plus it can only be sold once. I am including some pictures here of some cinderella stamps.....Notice there is no prices for postage in there... I have many many more and am willing to sell them...it is a very intense subject and not just the average stamp collecting...You could simply call it a facet of philately such as postmarks, specific themes ( thematic ), solid dated covers, covers commercially used on 1st day of issue, varieties or faults.... etc etc etc... have a great day ..OIO

Attached Files:

anglobob likes this.
  13. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Hello.....I am also interested in cinderellas but limit my collection to French issues.I have a fairly wide range of cinderella topics but find the patriotic issues most interesting.I am in the process of organizing my collection so hopefully I can post some pictures soon.

14. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

Sorry, try to stay away from anything from france..... That country has bad memories for me.

15. anglobob

A selection of patriotic and anti-German WW1 propaganda cinderellas from France. img005.jpg img006.jpg

Makanudo likes this.
  16. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio New Member

Anglobob.....As a collector myself of all sorts of militaria and seeing they are from the WW1 period, i like them. However i feel you are wrong with the Nazi bit of it. Nazi Germany is the common English name for the period in German history from 1933 to 1945...Not during WW1 as hitler did not become chancellor of germany until 1933...However these stamps are as they say these days are very kewl!!!!!!.....

17. anglobob

I don,t remember writing about Nazi Germany.As a retired history teacher ,I am fully aware of the Nazi Germany period.As I stated ,these are cinderellas from WW1 era.

Draft saved Draft deleted