Cancellation Gauge

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Has anyone here owned and or used one of these? (From the November 1957 issue of The Stamp Magazine.)

I purchased several years of this Brit publication and perhaps will write a review of it soon. Some very interesting articles in them!

cancellationgauge.jpg

James-2489 and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Molokai:

I've seen ads for the cancel gauge you show. I was tempted to buy one, but never did. An interesting item! There are a lot of different and sometimes odd philatelic tools advertised in the stamp collecting periodicals of the 1920s, 30s, & 40s, and even from the 1950s.

When I began collecting stamps in 1964 I first bought some U.S. commemorative pages, but within a couple years I found I needed more specialized pages and that's when I purchased a Fila-Framer mfg'ed and sold by Laine Products to help me draw my own pages. I never really mastered it to utilize its full potential, but I did use it to draw many a page, especially when I turned to world-wide collecting. I stopped using it in the mid-1990s when I bought my first page maker software. With the Fila-Framer, I would first lay out the stamp boxes on the page in pencil and then go over them in black ink. When the ink was dry I would lightly erase and traces of pencil not covered by the ink and, lastly, type in the descriptions with an IBM Selectric typewriter. Somewhat of a laborious task but, it got the job done. I still have the Fila-Framer and the small drawing board and T-square.

Looking forward to your review of the magazine, and, maybe, how to use the cancellation gauge.

Don

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

James-2489 and Molokai like this.
  3. Molokai

Yes, lots of such devices 'back in the day.' I do recall the fila-framer. Alas, with my mechanical aptitude I probably would have strangled myself with it.:nailbiting:

4. Molokai

Anyone have or use the UNO Pen Stencils?

UnoAd.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Molokai:

I've not seen an UNO pen stencil before, but it may have been useful for labeling albums, and maybe album pages. I wonder how easy it was to use?

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted