Bullseye cancels

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, May 30, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Here's a variation on my bullseye cancel collection, Classes-of-Mail cancels on stamps. I plucked these out of APS circuit books years ago. I don't have much opportunity to add to this category as I no longer receive used U.S. sales books. I miss finding stuff like this, but since I don't collect U.S. anymore, it isn't worth the cost to receive sales books just for cancels.

Don

aaa1.jpg

anglobob and Takis Kalogerakos like this.
  2. DonSellos

Earlier last month there was some discussion about the 1974 Christmas stamp, Sc. 1552, the first self-adhesive stamp the U.S. Post Office issued. Here is one on piece used fourteen years later. I bought it from an APS sales book, not sure when, but it has remained on piece because the stamp has a couple of die cuts that would cause it to break apart if someone tried to soak it off. It is beginning to show the mottling in the white background, especially around its edges. Given the date (Feb. 4th, 1988) which has no apparent significance, I doubt it was philatelically contrived, but who knows?.

Don

aaa9.jpg

Takis Kalogerakos likes this.
  3. DonSellos

Not exactly a bullseye, but I am hoping to find some additional information about this cancel. This stamp came out of a sales circuit book and I bought it thinking that, perhaps, it was a non-postal cancel of some kind. However, upon closer examination it appears to be a portion of a larger commemorative or pictorial cancel relating to Marseilles. Does anyone have a source of finding the entirety of the cancel?

The stamp is Scott 741 commemorating the 50th anniversary of Rotary International.

Thanks.

Don

aaa1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Takis Kalogerakos likes this.
  4. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Don....it could be a special postmark for tourism or promoting Marseille.
    Take a look at this site...
    http//scotem.fr/
    Looks like they concentrate on special handstamps and postmarks....
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Gand aka Ghent, Belgium, is/was the second largest city of Belgium. A bold cancel on this 2 francs stamp from the 1893-1900 King Leopold series. This was a past purchase for my regular Belgium collection, but I recently found several nice cancels on stamps from this "Dominical" series in an APS sales book. I'll show a few of those in coming days.

Don

aaa4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Werner Salentin likes this.
  6. DonSellos

Another of the "Dominicals" canceled in Roux, a town of about 10,000 souls, northwest of Charleroi. The stamp is Sc. 65, the 10c orange-brown.

Don

aaa4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 7:26 AM
  7. DonSellos

A cancel from Ronne, Denmark. Ronne is a small town of about 13,500 on the coast of Bornholm, an island in the Baltic Sea. The stamp is Denmark, Sc. 119, 40 ore from the 1913- 1928 definitive series.

Don

aaa7.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted