British Commonwealth QE2 ......first issues

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, May 14, 2019.

1. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

A 1955 series of stamps from Singapore,with photogravure and recess printing.I think the three higher value stamps are much more attractive. Image (237).jpg

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  2. anglobob

One of my favourite set of stamps...the first series issues of South Georgia,issued from 1963 to 1969.Very simple designs but in my opinion,very stylish.
    Also,quite a high catalogue value...my 1981 Gibbons prices the set at 120.00UKL..it is also a very popular set with widlife and maritime themes. Image (25).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  3. anglobob

I am more interested in the first or second series of stamps issued during the 1950,s or 1960,s,or before independence.I find later series are not as interesting,or as well-designed as earlier issues.Unfortunately,some colonies became more involved in mass-production of stamps,producing lots of pretty wallpaper .
    However,I was impressed with the Antigua set,issued from 1970 to 1975,which has a nautical theme. Image (27).jpg

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Also, seems like the Queen's presence on the stamps get smaller and smaller as the decades pass.

Don

5. anglobob

The 1956 issues from British Virgin Islands,overprinted in US currency,from 1962. Image (28).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  6. anglobob

The first definitive et from New Zealand,issued from 1953 to 1958.The top 4 values show a different image of Queen Elizabeth. Image (29).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  7. anglobob

A series of stamps from Aden,issued between 1953 and 1959.
    Gibbons lists 25 stamps in the set but there are numerous shades and different perforations...quite an interesting set. Image (39).jpg Image (38).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  8. DonSellos

A long set! nice.

Don

9. anglobob

Back to posting a few more sets from early QE2 period.I found these two sets from Antigua.
    The first set is from 1963 with 10 stamps from the 1953 set,only with the Block Crown watermark.Some have a Barbuda cancellation.I believe all are favour cancellations but are quite attractive.
    The second set is also from Antigua,issued in 1966 and showing various buildings and attractions .A very attractive set in my opinion,with different shades. Image (289).jpg Image (290).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  10. DonSellos

The Antigua pairs make for an attractive presentation! Favors or not, there are a couple of very nice cancels on that page. For me, it is difficult to beat British Colonials for attractiveness.

Don

11. anglobob

Don...I like both British and French colonial issues....a pity that after independence,most colonies tended to issue more and more stamps but for me at least,with less style and appeal.

Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  12. anglobob

Two early sets from Hong Kong.The first set was issued from 1954 to 1960 using the same design of earlier stamps with the portrait of Queen Elizabeth.
    The second set,issued in 1962 is in my opinion much more attractive,especially the higher value stamps. Image (293).jpg Image (294).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  13. DonSellos

Agreed, but for me the British Colonials have more variety in their design.

Don

14. anglobob

The 1954 series from Basutoland. Image (295).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  15. anglobob

1961 surcharged set from Bechuanaland Protectorate. Image (296).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  16. anglobob

The second series of QE2 issues from St.Helena.A very attractive and colourful set,with popular topical themes. Image (297).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  17. anglobob

The first pictorial set from Swaziland,issued in 1956.This was one of the more elusive sets to find in used condition. Image (298).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  18. anglobob

An assortment of used blocks and pairs from Gold Coast,from 1953 and independence overprints from 1957.
    They may be cancelled purely for philatelic purposes,but I find them quite attractive. Image (299).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  19. DonSellos

Very nice! I think they are attractive too. Well worth doing a page and putting it in the album.

Don

20. anglobob

A few more blocks and pairs/strips ,with nice circular cancellations.
    The North Borneo issues aren,t very expensive but it took me a while to acquire the complete set,so was pleasantly surprised to find these. Image (300).jpg Image (301).jpg Image (302).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted