British Commonwealth QE2 ......first issues

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, May 14, 2019.

1. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

The second series of stamps from St Lucia,issued in 1964. Image (216).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  2. anglobob

Second series from Trinidad and Tobago,issued from 1960 to 1965.Like the previous set from St Lucia,issued in photogravure and quite a contrast to the first issues of Elizabeth,s reign. Image (217).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  3. anglobob

A set issued in 1964 from Pitcairn Islands. Image (211).jpg

Gunny and DonSellos like this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Hi Bob:

The Pitcairn Island stamps and the island itself are interesting to me. Looked up the population on Wikipedia and in 1960, the year closest to the issue of the above stamps, and there were only 126 people on the island. Since it is such a small place with few people, it would seem there is little need to correspond with each other, so much of the mail posted would probably be international. Also not traditional amounts (4 and 8 shillings) on the high values. I wonder if there is scheduled air service to Pitcairn?

Don

5. anglobob

Don......as you state,a very interesting island !!
    It must be one of the most inaccesible places in the world..nearest airport is Totegegie in the Gambier Islands,part of French Polynesia.From there,it is a 32 hour boat trip !!!
    A supply ship arrives about four times a year.Only other way to get there is by private boat or yacht,and that is extremely expensive.I believe there are a few cruise ships which feature Pitcairn on their itinerary.
    Postage stamps are very important as a source of revenue.
    The popuation is steadily falling,less than 50 people now.I read an article somewhere that stated in probably another 30 or 40 years,the islands will be uninhabited.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  6. anglobob

The second definitive set from Kenya,Uganda and Tanganyika,issued in 1960.
    The one shilling value always reminds me of Arizona...:chicken::chicken: Image (204).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  7. DonSellos

Hi Bob:

Now that you mention it, yes, me too. The 5/ as well. That one resembles a "Jumping Jack" cactus.

Don

8. anglobob

The first definitive series from Rhodesia and Nyasaland,issued from 1954 to 1956. Image (235).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  9. anglobob

The second series of stamps from North Borneo were issued in 1961.
    Recess printed,a much more attractive set than the first series which were photogravure printed. Image (231).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  10. anglobob

A set from Gibraltar,issued from 1967 to 1969,depicting sailing ships Image (232).jpg ,cruise liners and assorted naval vessels.

DonSellos likes this.
  11. anglobob

Tristan da Cunha issued a very attractive set of stamps in 1965,showing various sailing ships and more modern vessels.
    The two higher value stamps ,with a portrait of Queen Elizabeth,are very attractive and striking. Image (233).jpg Image (234).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

All very nice stamps, Bob. Keep 'em coming.

Don

13. anglobob

A colourful set issued in 1962 from Swaziland. Image (215).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  14. anglobob

The second ,and last,definitive series from Rhodesia and Nyasaland,issued from 1959 to 1962.
    In February 1964,stamps were withdrawn . Image (192).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  15. anglobob

1964 series of stamps from Southern Rhodesia,which was renamed Rhodesia in October ,1964. Image (206).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  16. anglobob

A series from Northern Rhodesia,issued in 1963.All stamps were withdrawn in October 1964 when the territory gained independence and was renamed Zambia. Image (205).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  17. anglobob

The second series of stamps from Gibraltar,issued in 1960. Image (210).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  18. anglobob

The first definitive series from Jamaica,issued from 1956 to 1958 Image (208).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  19. anglobob

Stamps issued by Sierra Leone from 1956 to 1961,the only definitive set issued before independence in 1961. Image (209).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  20. anglobob

One of the first series of stamps of Queen Elizabeth,issued in 1953 by Northern Rhodesia.This was also a little harder to find within my price range.....:chicken:
    I actually purchased the lower values very cheaply,thinking I could find the five higher values later.I was mistaken and ended up buying the complete set ,which was actually cheaper than buying the individual high value stamps !!!
    Image (238).jpg o_O

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted