British Commonwealth QE2 ......first issues

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, May 14, 2019.

1. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

A series of 18 stamps from Bermuda,issued from 1953 to 1958. Image (86).jpg Image (87).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  2. anglobob

A pictorial Image (123).jpg series from Sarawak,issued from 1955 to 1957.

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  3. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Sarawak! One of my favorite British colonies. The name has always fascinated me.

Don

4. anglobob

Not at all related to stamps....but....
    Growing up in the 1960,s,one of my favourite groups was Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick and Tich.One of their hits was a song called Zabadak....Always reminded me of Sarawak....

5. anglobob

Early Queen Elizabeth series have always attracted me because of their designs,colours and interesting topics.usually depicting various scenes from each colony.The stamps from Leeward Islands,St Lucia and St Vincent are very different.In my opinion,not immediately eye catching and rather plain,especially compared to other issues.They remind me very much of the early GB Wilding issues. Image (124).jpg Image (131).jpg Image (127).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  6. anglobob

A pictorial set from St Christopher,Nevis and Anguilla,issued from 1954 to 1957.

Image (132).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  7. DonSellos

Very attractive set, Bob. I continue to be impressed with the centering of your stamps and their unobtrusive cancels. You are obviously a discriminating collector. Five cigars! :cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:

Don

8. anglobob

Discriminating ??? No....just lucky with my purchases...:cat::cat:
    I tend to deal with just a couple of sellers back in UK and they always have good material.
    Bob

9. anglobob

A very attractive set from Nigeria,issued in 1953,featuring artists drawings of industry scenes from contemporary Nigeria.The Tudor crown or a portrait of Queen Elizabeth appears in one corner of each stamp.This was the last definitive issue before independence in 1960.
    Some of the stamps have heavier cancels,and there is a nice registered cancellation on the high value 1 UKL stamp. Image (121).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  10. anglobob

A series of pictorial stamps from the island of Malta,issued in 1956 and 1957. Image (120).jpg

11. anglobob

A pictorial series from Montserrat,issued from 1953 to 1958.There are 15 stamps in the basic set listed by Gibbons.There are four variations here also,with the inscription of Colony as well as Presidency.These can be found on 1/2c,3c,6c and $4.80 values. Image (144).jpg Image (165).jpg

12. anglobob

A set of 12 stamps issued from 1953 to 1958 from Bechuanaland Protectorate.Very nice designs and simple but attractive colours.

Attached Files:

13. anglobob

A 1964 set from Sabah,formerly known as North Borneo .
    The original set was issued in 1961,and is another of my favourites,with a wide range of topics...
    It is also one of the harder sets to find in used condition. Image (141).jpg

14. anglobob

British Indian Overseas Territory ,or BIOT,was created in 1965.The following series of stamps were introduced in 1968---overprints of a 1962 set from Seychelles. Image (143).jpg

15. anglobob

Stamps from Ascension,issued in 1956. Image (142).jpg

16. DonSellos

Very attractive sets, again! I am especially impressed that all of the sets have the fractional penny stamps nicely centered and used. I have found those very low values difficult to find used, perhaps, even more so than the high values.

Don

17. anglobob

A very attractive series from Somaliland Protectorate,issued from 1953 to 1958.
    This is the only definitive set issued during the reign of Queen Elizabeth.Nice designs and colours. Image (189).jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  18. anglobob

Stamps from Seychelles,issued between 1954 and 1957. Image (187).jpg Image (188).jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  19. DonSellos

[QUOTEA very attractive series from Somaliland Protectorate,issued from 1953 to 1958. This is the only definitive set issued during the reign of Queen Elizabeth.Nice designs and colours.][/QUOTE]

I agree re: designs and colors. The Sechelles stamps, while undoubtedly pertinent to the islands, just don't have the quality look that so many of the other Elizabethan first series stamps have.

Don

20. anglobob

Don.....issues from Seychelles,Mauritius and N Borneo were printed by photogravure process and in my opinion,are not as attractive or as elegant-looking as the recess printed issues from the majority of the colonies.

Bob

Draft saved Draft deleted