British Commonwealth QE2 ......first issues

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, May 14, 2019.

1. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Queen Elizabeth is the longest reigning monarch in British history.She became queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on February 6,1952,following the death of her father,George V1. The next few years saw new stamps issued by all the Commnwealth countries.
    Here are some scans of the early sets . They are very -well designed,colourful and depict various topics related to each country.Most sets can be easily found and are not too expensive in my opinion.Also,similar to some French colonies,some countries have disappeared and no longer issue stamps,so it is a lot easier to complete a collection...
    Image (15).jpg Image (13).jpg Image (12).jpg

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Very nice pages, Bob, all neatly canceled to boot. I didn't realize you collected GB commonwealth & colonies. Hope you will show us more.

Don

3. anglobob

Don....thanks.
    I have branched out a little into British colonies ,mainly interested in the early sets of QE2.Interesting designs and topics,and as I mentioned earlier,not too difficult to find.I am still continuing with my French colonies collection but its getting harder.....and more expensive......to find the items I need.
    I will show more sets as soon as I have them mounted.

Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  4. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Greetings Bob, Don & All,
    I have been enamored of BCW stamps since I was a wee collector, not able to
    afford the high values of each set on a 3$ per week allowance. As a youngster,
    I would catch the bus to downtown Houston, each Saturday and go to Mitula Stamp & Coin co. (A dealer briefly mentioned in Herman Hearst's book , Nassau St.)
    There I would purchase as many sets up to the 1/-, that I could afford.
    Presently, being 74 & retired, I decided to 'complete the dream' using the QE-II
    Omnibus issue as a 'template' for countries from which to collect MNH QE-II complete sets. (Mostly sets from the 1950's)
    At this time I believe I've succeeded & even opened up the collection to include the more expensive MNH BCW sets of her dad, Geo-VI, & his dad, Geo-V.
    I guess I was drawn to the beautifully engraved stamps & the exotic multi-color palette scenes from far away countries, many of them dead-countries now.
    Probably TMI for the group, so, sorry for this ramble down memory lane & all
    can be blamed on Anglobob's post..LOL!
    Cheers,
    Harry

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  5. anglobob

Harry....good to hear from you again. I did the same as you when I started collecting,just purchased the inexpensive lower values.Like you now,I have more time on my hands......I am more interested in used stamps.
    Cheers

Bob

6. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Thanks Roberto,
    I understand the allure & 'romance' of used stamps, but prefer the post office fresh variety. It's not a question of value, just collecting preference.
    I really enjoyed seeing your used complete sets.
    HGG

Addendum: Bob, just re-read your mention of French Colonials.
    There is a doctor selling off his collection on eB & I've noticed he many times includes really good deals on F.Colonials. You may want to check out
    his I.D. 'stampmess', Good Luck!

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  7. anglobob

A set from Kenya,Uganda and Tanganyika.When I first started collecting,the lower values were some of the first stamps I acquired.Living in the industrial West Midlands ,there weren,t many opportunities to see exotic animals like lions,elephants and giraffes......:chicken::chicken: Image (45).jpg

8. anglobob

A set from Gilbert and Ellice Islands,issued in 1956.
    This colony ceased to exist on Jan 1,1976 and the countries of Kiribati and Tuvalu came into existence. Image (49).jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  9. anglobob

A set issued in 1957 from the Pitcairn Islands,a British Overseas Territory located in the southern Pacific Ocean.They have a population of less than 50 inhabitants,the smallest population of any democracy in the world.The stamps depict daily life and scenes from the island. Image (51).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  10. anglobob

A series of pictorial stamps from British Honduras,issued from 1953 to 1957.
    On June 1,1973,British Honduras was renamed Belize. Image (50).jpg

11. anglobob

Image (53).jpg Pictorial set from Antigua

12. anglobob

The 1954 set from North Borneo.Printed using the photogravure process,as opposed to recess printing of most of the other sets. Image (54).jpg

13. anglobob

The last definitive series of the Falkland Islands for George V1 appeared in 1952.Six of these 14 stamps were reissued between 1955 and 1957 with a portrait of Queen Elizabeth.The next definitive series,showing various native birds,appeared in 1960. Image (80).jpg

14. DonSellos

Nice stamps, Bob! Keep them coming.

Don

15. anglobob

Continuing with early sets.
    A very attractive series of 19 stamps from Dominica.This is one of my favourite sets. Image (56).jpg Image (57).jpg

16. anglobob

Pictorial series from Bahamas,issued in 1954. Image (55).jpg

17. anglobob

Another very attractive series of stamps from British Solomon Islands,issued from 1956 to 1960. Image (76).jpg Image (79).jpg

18. anglobob

A series from Gibraltar,issued in 1953.
    In 2005,Gibraltar Post Office was granted the title of Royal by Queen Elizabeth.
    Gibraltar is the only Commonwealth or British Overseas Territory Post Office outside the UK that bears this title. Image (88).jpg

19. anglobob

A very attractive and colourful set from Turks and Caicos Islands,issued in 1957.
    The high value 1 UKL stamp was issued in 1960,using a different printing process and in my opinion,doesn,t really fit in with the other stamps.
    Gibbons lists this as part of the series. Image (90).jpg

20. DonSellos

Agreed, it looks different. Nice stamps, though.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted