British Colonial Overprints

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by SATX Collector, Jan 23, 2016.

1. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

OK... this one for James as our British Expert but anyone else (such as Molokai or Hoch as they seem to have the books???) jump in.

I received this group as part of a collection... British Postage & Revenue, overstamped with values in Annas and the single as 1 Rupee. Fortunately they were identified in a glassine envelope so I started searching...

http://www.oman-stamps.com/stamp_details.php?recordID=766&pos=3&page=1

So I have the link, I have the ID. But if I got these stamps in Kiloware (which I probably do since I have so much that is not yet sorted...) I would have NO idea how to distinguish these from any other colony (especially India as the units are the same) without a lot of 'trial and error' detective work. I have no problem doing that, but as my "Hobby" time is limited, I would like to point to a source whenever possible.

Molokai likes this.
  2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Hello SATX, a little more research shows that the Coronation issue if mint could have been used in Oman or Dubai only the cancellation could distinguish where it was used. The Bahrain issue is a little different, see below

upload_2016-1-24_21-8-0.png

Regards, James.

SATX Collector and Molokai like this.
  3. James-2489

Hello SATX, you are correct in that it is 1 of 10 stamps issued in Anna or Rupee values, issued in Oman during 1953.
    India and Pakistan use the same currency but issued their own stamps from 1947? til today.
    Oman later changed their currency to Gulf Naye Paise in 1960 and changed again in 1966? to Rial & Baisa.
    Regards, James.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. James-2489

Best Answer
    Hello SATX, a little more research shows that the Coronation issue if mint could have been used in Oman or Dubai only the cancellation could distinguish where it was used. The Bahrain issue is a little different, see below

upload_2016-1-24_21-8-0.png

Regards, James.

5. SATX Collector

So since mine are mint, they could be either... but not a LARGE concern.

The crown on the right: Scotland, North Ireland, and ??? And the scepters as well?

6. James-2489

Hello SATX, to give a rough idea of the state emblems on the stamp:

1. St Edward's Crown (left) is used to crown British monarchs. Made of gold in 1661, it has four crosses pattée and fleurs-de-lis, with two arches on top. Surmounting the arches is a jewelled cross pattée. Its frame is embellished with 444 semi-precious stones, including amethysts, garnet, olivine, peridot, rubies, sapphires, topazes, tourmalines and zircon. The crown is 30 cm (12 in) tall, weighs 2.23 kg (4.9 lb) and has been noted to be extremely heavy. Queen Elizabeth II opted to use a stylised image of this crown in coats of arms, badges, logos and various other insignia throughout the Commonwealth realms to symbolise her royal authority. On 4 June 2013, it was displayed on the altar in Westminster Abbey to mark the 60th anniversary of the Queen's coronation – the first time it had left the Tower of London since 1953.

2. The Imperial Crown of India (Right) was created in 1911 when George V visited the Delhi Durbar in his capacity as Emperor of India. An ancient law prohibits the removal of Crown Jewels from the UK; for this reason, a new crown had to be made specially, with emeralds, rubies, sapphires and 6,100 diamonds.
    This crown has been altered and lightened several times to fit the monarchs for state occasions.

3. Either side of the stamp are the Soverigns Golden Sceptres.

4. The flowers are: Englsh Rose, Scottish Thistle, Irish Shamrock and Welsh Daffodil.

Hopefully I have not made any errors.

Regards, James.

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  7. James-2489

8. James-2489

If you have two, they are obviously one of each :angelic:

Regards, James.

SATX Collector likes this.
  9. SATX Collector

Cheeky...:p

Draft saved Draft deleted