Bought One from 1869 Series

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Gunny, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I've been reading a book about the 1869 Series, but didn't have one of the stamps in my collection. Went to the American Stamp Dealers Association meeting in Arlington, Va yesterday and picked this one up from the Bardo Stamps table. Was looking for a well centered used stamp with minor cancellation and think I found it with this one. These issues are notorious for horrible centering.

[​IMG]

2. Gunny

Oh yeah, it's a Scott # 115.

3. stampdad

stampdad Member

That is a great one too. Crisp, clear . Awesome piece

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice find, looks really good. :)

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I love the color on this stamp. It's got great eye appeal too. Fantastic acquisition Gunny!

6. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Very nice stamp, indeed!!

7. tasha

tasha Active Member

I am trying to see if this one is centered and it looks pretty good. I have seen a few that are a little off and I even found one that has a spelling error.

8. littleriverphil

littleriverphil Active Member

Very nice copy of Scott 115, a notoriously poorly centered stamp. Congrats on a great choice Gunny

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who would love to see it!! :)

9. zararina

It will be great to see the one with spelling error. Some are really collecting those odd stamps.

10. littleriverphil

Yeah! Doesn't everyone love errors on stamps? :) Here's one of mine. This stamp was supposed to be overprinted SPECIMEN, but in one position of the typeset plate ( the overprint plate ), Position 26, the typesetter transposed the P and E.

O25sa.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    James-2489 and Hochstrasse like this.
  11. Hochstrasse

I have to confess the "sepcimen" error is one of my favorite error stamps. I don't own one, but sure would love to.

12. zararina

This is really nice. ;)

13. tasha

tasha Active Member

Oh thats fantastic! I love it, how unique. Wonder if it would be worth anything?

14. Gunny

A couple more from the 1869 series. The Scott 113 & Scott 114. Nice centering on the 113. The 114 has seen better days though, and is still on partial cover.

Scott #113
    [​IMG]

Scott #114
    [​IMG]

15. littleriverphil

Well on your way with the 1869's, here's the next three, well, actually I skipped 118. These are 116, 117, and 119. The 12 cent 117 has a WAY cancel, meaning that it was mail from somewhere on the route between post offices. I don't really collect this series, just accumulated them from other lots.

1869's.JPG

zararina and Gunny like this.
  16. Gunny

Here are 3 more additions from the 1869 series. They may look familiar as I acquired them from littleriverphil and are pictured above in his posting.

Scott 116 - Eagle & Shield
    [​IMG]

Scott 117 - S. S. Adriatic

[​IMG]

Scott 119 - Landing of Columbus

[​IMG]

17. zararina

Good to know that you received that form someone here. :D

18. littleriverphil

They look great, Gunny! The way cancellation on the 12 cent is a "way" postmark, which was applied either by the post rider or at the next post office. This is mail that was picked up along the post route by the rider, mailed from between post offices. Either the sender had the stamp, or the 12 cents, and gave the letter/package and payment to the rider, who completed the mailing.

Gunny likes this.
  19. Hochstrasse

They look very nice Gunny, good color on the 10c yellow. This has been my favorite U.S. stamp set since I was a teenager. Looks like you have a good leg up on the set.:)

Gunny likes this.
  20. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

those are very nice stamps you have there. hopefully you're able to get one of the inverts.

Gunny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted