Book Review (Brief) – The Famous Americans Series of 1940

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

United States Famous Americans Series of 1940 by George H. Hahn, American Philatelic Society (Handbook Series), 1950, hardback, 193pp. Price range: $10.00-$15.00.

I bought this book for a song, as they say. I found it interesting an entire book would be devoted to this U.S. series. Alas, it was not quite what I was expecting. I had hoped for information on plating, varieties, etc.

The book is organized and arranged very similar to Johl’s tomes, also with the rare today heavy semi-glossy stock. The difference here is there is less statistical information but somewhat longer reads on the subject of the stamp, history of its design, production and roll-out. It does have some interesting ‘tidbits’ – but as to plating and varieties - everything seems to derive from Johl. There is no reference section per se, but several are interspersed throughout the text such as newspaper accounts of first day activities.

Still, if you collect this series, it would certainly be a worthwhile addition to a library. But for a basic understanding Johl is more than ample.

A side note: On reading these older books I always ask myself the question: What happened to the practice of the English language and the written word in the past 50 or so years? How far they have fallen.

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Thanks for your thoughtful review of a popular series. I concur with your side note. The vocabulary, the art of writing and the use of many literary devices has fallen so far in the past 50 years here in the States that I yearn for the Queen's English at times. I second that vote on Johl too.

3. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Another good one Molokai, thanks again. I know what you mean about the general use of the language, everything is sped up and watered down to increase the flow of information quickly. Alas, there are fewer uses of good language in common discourse.
    In any case, thanks again for sharing another good book. I'm in the process of moving so my next one is on the back burner for a bit....but REALLY I'll write another review :oops:

4. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I have more than 3 used groups of this series. If anyone wants to write a story and needs a grouping of these for reference, please send email by private EM on my conversation site.

Draft saved Draft deleted