blizzard stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by tasha, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

do you think there will be any stamps with the blizzard on them as this a really heavy one and hasn't been this bad for twenty years?
    I saw a post yesterday with times square and they guy trying desperately to plough the snow!

2. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Don't know of any off hand, but our learned fellows should come up with something....James? :shifty:

3. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

nice one Hochstasse, and I agree event specific are a no go

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I don't think any postal agency will issue any stamps that are event specific, but Canada Post recently issued some weather stamps.
    [​IMG]
    "The five photographs come from every corner of the country. Daryl Benson snapped hoar frost covering a tree near Beaumont, Alberta. Geoff Whiteway focused on hazy, early-morning fog at Cape Spear Lighthouse National Historic Site in Newfoundland. In Saint-Gédéon, Quebec, Mike Grandmaison chased a rain shower to shoot a double rainbow, while Dave Reede captured radiant flashes of lightning near Winnipeg, Manitoba. Further north, in Iqaluit, Nunavut, Frank Reardon caught rarely witnessed sun dogs, created by ice crystals in the air."
    https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/bl...weather_wonders&cat=stamps&cattype=collecting

James-2489 and Molokai like this.
  5. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, Is this cheating?
    "Snowstorm - Steamer off a Harbour's Mouth"
    Birth Bicentenary of J.M.W.Turner - Artist - Painter. Issue 1975-02-19
    [​IMG]

Or this one? Issued: 1984-07-31
    Edinburgh Mail Snowbound, 1831
    [​IMG]
    Regards, James.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice looking stamps James but sure that it is not nice to be on such situation. :)

7. James-2489

Very true, I've not seen snow like that in the south of England for many years, I think the worst was 1984-5 about 300mm (1 ft) of snow with 1.8m (6ft) snow drifts blocking many of the arterial roads.
    Regards, James.

zararina likes this.
  8. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Excellent...you came through as I knew that you would....storm specific stamps wow! Good job

9. James-2489

Hello all, I've always wondered how the men or women get to work to drive the snowplows, when the snow is too deep to drive ordinary vehicles or to walk through.

Regards, James.

10. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

James, very good indeed! Nice to be proven wrong on this one. I especially like the "Snowbound in 1831". It's right on point.

11. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

This one works for me!!

12. James-2489

Hello all, I thought I would set myself a target, discarding Christmas stamps, snow animals (leopards, owls etc.) tropical countries. I decided to see how many snow scene stamps I could find on the web in ten minutes. I found these five.
    upload_2016-1-28_10-21-58.png

Regards, James.

13. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

The 29 USA stamp's theme is quite unusual. Battle in the snow and not a simple snowball fight. :)

James-2489 likes this.
  14. James-2489

Hello all, back in the early 60s I was in Bastogne Belgium with my older brother, I was taking a photo of the Sherman tank in the town square, when a couple of American ex-soldiers asked me if I spoke American? I said "No, but I do speak quite good English" They had a good laugh at this and invited us to lunch, Then we all went to the Nüsse Museum. The tank was in rather poor condition, many battle scars and a great deal of neglect. Unlike the web photo of the restored tank (and square) below.
    [​IMG]

Regards, James.

zararina likes this.
  15. Johnny C.

Johnny C. New Member

what about the Washington Valley Forge stamp..cant think of the year offhand without searching

16. James-2489

Do you mean this mini sheet?
    upload_2016-1-29_9-4-7.png

Nice.
    Regards, James.

philaKS, zararina and SATX Collector like this.
  17. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Got about 5 of these as well as the rest of the series...

I was in (then) West Germany when the American Bicentennial celebrations were due. We had a parade with the American colors first, followed by the individual flags of all of the States paraded in order of admittance to the Union. I carried the flag of Arizona, which was my birthplace and also #48 of 50 in the order of entrance.

Seems like we had reenactments of all of the uniform varieties from the Revolutionary War through WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and on to the present as well.

James-2489 likes this.
  18. Johnny C.

Johnny C. New Member

I believe that was a bad winter also..I think there was also a Christmas stamp from around 1976 but it doesnt show the snowstorm..A lot of George Washingtons men didnt have shoes..they wrapped their feet with rags..

19. tasha

tasha Active Member

I love the lighting stamp it is so colourful and unusual and I must say james that you have some great stamps in your collection!!

20. tasha

tasha Active Member

those snow storms look frightening even on the stamp! thanks for these and it is good to see Canada has one with a slight rainbow and sunshine!

Draft saved Draft deleted