Belgium Railway Stamps

Discussion in 'Trades' started by steve logan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

well has taken me a little longer than i intended, but at last i have mine sorted and loaded to catawiki, i have a few of these sets available to any7one who w3ants them, as the sets go, there will be less than i am showing here as i do not have a spare for every stamp after this set has gone

let me know if you are intersted

Steve
    View attachment 1530 View attachment 1531 View attachment 1532 View attachment 1533

2. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Nice group of stamps. I think I will past on these. Thanks for the offer though. I bet Sam B. will like some of these, he collects railroad stamps.

3. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

the thing i found strange is that although they are detailing trains, and stations, they actually come under Railway in the Scotts catalogue, so now i am digging to try and find out why LOL

4. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Thats strange, maybe it showed that you paid a tax to use the train....dont know.

5. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

well i did think that Philactica would have popped in by now, he is like a walking library (no offence ment here, quite the opposite), a head full of information i would be seaching hours for.

i have been to and through Belgium many times and did not really notice their railway structure, and did not think it was any different to ours here in the UK? So what the stamps are for i have no idea?

and as they say "over to Phil"

6. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

Yes, I am interested in these Steve. And expect a package in your mail at the end of the week or next week

7. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Here's an article I found on the internet. Hopefully this helps and is correct...lol

Belgian parcel post and railway stamps are listed together chronologically in the Scott catalog, all prefixed with the letter "Q."

Belgian railway stamps, first issued in 1879, are inscribed "Chemins de Fer" and "Spoorwegen," French and Flemish, respectively, for railway.

Belgian railway stamps issued since 1951 lack the inscription, but they always feature an element relating to railways in their design (trains, stations, rails or railway personnel).

When these stamps are used on parcels carried domestically on Belgian railways, the handling is exclusively by railway employees. Catalog values for used stamps are for railway cancellations.

Belgian railway stamps are also valid for payment of some types of parcel post. Stamps bearing a postal cancellation sell for twice as much as those bearing a railway cancel.

Belgian parcel post stamps, first issued in 1928, are inscribed in French and Flemish "Colis Postal -- Post Collo" or "Collis Postaux -- Post Colli." They are normally found with postal cancellations, and the premium for postal use does not apply to these stamps.

Sam B and steve logan like this.
  8. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Sam

if you have not posted to me yet can you keep hold until i get back of holiday, as stamps can be damaged if they are sat on the mat and then a wet paper comes through?

9. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

so there you go i now have to go all through my spares again and find one of each of the postal cancells lol, i did not pick them out as the railwaycancels do look better :)

10. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

No problem. I had it ready for in the morning, but I haven't sealed it yet...so I should have more added by the time you return. Just let me know when....

11. kacyds

kacyds New Member

lol... good luck with that. Should keep you buzzing or amused, or whatever you are now....lol :p

12. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I will get these in the post to you this week before i go, with the ones from the 10th Jan, i will let you know when i am heading back mate.

many thanks

Steve

13. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

me i am just Angelic lol

Sam B likes this.
  14. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Dont make me laugh so hard, LOL You are one funny mate.......Thanks for the laugh.

steve logan likes this.
  15. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Great selection you have there Steve and Sam your in for fun sorting them LOL The French also do some but not quite as many

steve logan likes this.
  16. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

well he only has one of each Steve, and lucky for him, all the ones shown are already on catawiki, so once they are scanned he should be able to get them on in no time at all lol

17. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Sam, your packet was posted this morning for you, i have just downloaded the Jan and Feb editions of GSM and they have made the files a lot bigger, no idea why but i will not be beaten, i will put 2 issues on a disc and post for you

Steve

18. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

it sure is but i have more than is shown here, as a lot i have only found 1 of so far lol

Draft saved Draft deleted