Are any of these stamps worth more than their face values?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by jshine1337, May 19, 2019.

1. jshine1337

jshine1337 New Member

I recently inherited this stamp collection from my grandfather, and am wondering if any of them are worth more than their face value?

If you think any are worth more but are unsure of the price, I don't mind researching those specific stamps individually.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stamps: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q8fRgGpkRuw9QHVh7

2. Tom F Smith

Tom F Smith New Member

The greatest value for 98% of the stamps pictured is to lick them and stick them onto envelopes or packages to be mailed. The reality is these stamps can be bought in huge quantities for as low as 40-50% of face value, anywhere and all the time, especially at stamp auctions, or on ebay.

3. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Greetings from Houston,
    I use to collect U.S. plate blocks & can honestly say IMHO I can't see much in the collection worth more than 'Face', although, perhaps the Airmail blocks & Liberty Flag strips do have some value.
    If you are looking to sell, have you considered placing the collection on eBay, as is? Or better yet, why not expand the collection and begin collecting U.S. Stamps? Good Luck whichever way you go.
    Just my 2¢,
    HGG

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi jshine:

Harry's assessment looks right to me. It appears that most of the collection is plate number blocks. There is a catalog for those, it's titled Durland Standard Plate Number Catalog. Some of the plate numbers may carry a premium. I did notice a 1969 baseball comm plate block. It used to carry a premium. Don't know what it is now. If you live in a larger city the local library may have a copy of Durland.

Harry's advice about collecting U.S. is good. What you have is a fine start.

Don

Harry Golightly likes this.
  5. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Thanks Don & Hochstrasse,
    It's always nice to hear you have not completely 'lost it' @ the 74 yrs. mark.
    LOL!
    HGG

Draft saved Draft deleted