Any idea on this star "cancell" ?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Makanudo, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

Hello,

This stamp has a star shaped hole punched through it.
    Is that a cancell, or was it done when the stamp was peeled off the letter?
    I would apreciate your oppinion.
    Thanks!
    ouh.jpg

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Makanudo:

I'm not sure how that got there, but star punches like that are used by postal administrations to cancel stamps that were withdrawn from sale. These stamps are sometimes referred to as "remainders."

The stamp looks like the 5c light blue from the 1923 "Southern Lapwing" definitive issue. That series was redrawn and reissued four times with the color of the 5c remaining a shade of blue. The redrawn stamps, however, can be readily distinguished by a printer's imprint on the bottom of the stamp. I don't see any imprint on your stamp, so I assume it is from the original 1923 set. It is possible that the remainders of the first set were withdrawn and punch cancelled. That being the case, the stamp may have been used after cancellation and got by the postal clerks.

The star punch mark is a pattern that was used on hand punches that were sold, at least in the United States, in office supply stores. It also could be that someone had one of these punches and was playing with it on used stamps. I am not sure if it is possible to tell if the punch was used before or after the ink cancel was applied.

An answer to you question is, yes, it is a type of cancel. Not exactly a definitive answer, but the best I can do. Hopefully, another member can reply more authoritatively.

Good to see you back on the Exchange again!

Don

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Makanudo and Werner Salentin like this.
  3. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Makanudo,
    "most of the used official stamps of 1901-1928 have been punched with holes
    of various shapes,in addition to postal cancellations": footnote from Scott cat.
    All printed matter stamps exist as used punched only.
    After official stamps were discontinued (yours is of the 1924 issue) in 1928,
    various ordinary postage stamps were punched and used for official mail.

Werner

Makanudo and DonSellos like this.
  4. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

Hello Don & Werner!

Thanks for reacting promptly to my enquiry.
    I really havent seen such cancells before and both of your explanations really provide me with new and valuable insight.
    I dont have much time for my hobbies lately, but I do visit and read some of the threads here on forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted