Another Broken hat to look for I call this one type,E

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by RICHARD Babcock, Jul 3, 2020.

1. RICHARD Babcock

RICHARD Babcock Active Member

Scott 231 Broken hat well into his head,I have found 5 of this type. Rare WIN_20200703_22_24_20_Pro.jpg

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. RICHARD Babcock

[GALLERY=]To add to the broken Hat Type E, It will also have all the lines on the right side doubled. WIN_20200703_22_41_27_Pro.jpg [/GALLERY]

3. RICHARD Babcock

Ive listed Types A,B,C,D. All in order A and B is the most common. WIN_20200703_22_47_19_Pro.jpg WIN_20200703_22_49_12_Pro.jpg WIN_20200703_22_51_45_Pro.jpg WIN_20200704_00_57_30_Pro.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  4. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

5. RICHARD Babcock

JUst a regular stamp with a Celestron micro scope and a HD Digital Microscope imager My plan is to place stamp on graf page then print out the area of change and paste it blown up beside the stamp, To show the change in the plates, I have discovered about 600 plus plate differences so far, Doubled plate crack plate,arrow, printing dots, new craked plates, scratches, and ink smears. I hoping to process about a million stamps Scott 231 used new and on cover to determine the plate rarities, The most mindbogglingly is the Broken hat, Most think there is only one type one price one rarity, Realy there are 5 types A being the most common

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Molokai likes this.
  6. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Good old fashioned philatelic research! Do you think some of the plate varieties might be progressive over time?

7. RICHARD Babcock

Yes and i think we have missed even earlier traces of wear on the plates. I remember this Double cracked in the lower line in an auction years ago, the cracks were much larger on the one that sold for a rather large amount at that time.I had never seen another one until i found this one. WIN_20200706_12_47_43_Pro.jpg WIN_20200706_12_49_00_Pro.jpg

8. RICHARD Babcock

This appears to be a broken hat E type but hard to tell with the cancel over it, Major re-entry with everything going on to it, the circle on the lower left is one of the most fascinating pics .Enjoy

Attached Files:

Molokai likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted